TTR-125L chain adjusting

I'm in the process of adjusting the chain slack as well. I've had my bike for just over 2 weeks (about 15 hours riding time) and the chain has stretched. The owners guide says 1.4-2 inches of play and mines pushin 2 if not a little over. While trying to adjust the slack as well as just about any other adjustments i've noticed the nuts and bolts strip rediculously easily. That has been my #1 complaint with the bike so far; i'm scarred to touch anything with the fear i'll never be able to re-tighten it again.

Ive got the O ring-chain but theres about 3 extra linkages on it ?

so mine is as tight as it will go on the adjuster. I'm gonna take about 3 linkages out but i just have to get around to it.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, you need to get the chain tight enough so it can move up and down about an inch each way. Just make sure both sides are at the same number so your wheel alignment isnt messed up :eek:

Don't you sit on the bike, move the chain up and down, and make sure it can move 1/2-3/4 of an inch? :applause:

While trying to adjust the slack as well as just about any other adjustments i've noticed the nuts and bolts strip rediculously easily. That has been my #1 complaint with the bike so far; i'm scarred to touch anything with the fear i'll never be able to re-tighten it again.

Make sure you use a good quality tool set on the bike and ONLY use 6 point sockets on the bolts.

If you use a cheap off-brand 12 point socket set I can guarantee you will strip more nuts than you get to come off the bike. If you're using 12 point sockets, open-end wrenches and pliers, I can understand why you're having some problems.

As for the nuts and bolts where you need to use an open-end wrench on, if you have already partially stripped off the heads, you can get special wrenches that will grab better so you don't finish them off.

Look for something like this...

flare_nut_wrench.jpg

• 15 years later...
14 hours ago, MatthewELT3 said:

Hello, I just bought a 2005 ttr125L and both the tightening things are both at 7 and it can’t go up anymore, do I get a new chain and that will fix the problem? 

Dont know this is a question.  But if you have maxed out the adjusters, get a new chain AND SPROCKETS