Sign in to follow this  

2003 CRF450R (used) Worth Buying?

Hi Guys

I am new to this forum and have been riding 2 strokes and a CRF250R. I was thinking about buying a 2003 CRF450R in decent shape for $2900 from my dealer. I was going to buy it as a extra bike. I have been riding for 2 years now mostly on 125s and a 250 CRF but i wanted to try a 450. Anyway, Was there any major problems with the 03? . Is it worh $2900? (it is in decent shape). Is there valve issues (like the 250)? .Thanks for your input

That seems like a pretty good price, especially from a dealer.

The valves on the 450s don't seem to have as high of a failure rate as the 250s, probably due to rpms, this is just my own anecdotal experience and what I've heard.

My own 450 finally had one intake lose most adjustability after about 150 to 200 hours, oddly enough the other valve is fine. I would say the vast majority of 450 owners still have the original valves in their bikes.

I don't know if there is any difference between '02s and '03s as far as the "valve issue" goes. They seem to be the same from where I am sitting...

I dunno. I'd buy it at that price.

One neat trick I like to use to gauge usage is check the kickstart where it hits the peg. Compare this to your own bike, I think it is a good rough guide to how much use the bike saw.

Hope this helps.

I bought a used '03 for $4,500. Its a good price if it is in good shape. I would give it a thourough going over. If you buy it I would take it apart and inspect everything. They are great bikes, I love mine, and man are they fast! One of the best upgrades I did to mine was a complete Hinson clutch...like butter! I have Hinson basket, plates, inner hub, and pressure plate. A little pricey, but man is it nice. I had trouble with the stock clutch as it wouldnt disengage all the way, but that is the only problem I have encountered.

My 2003 CRF 450R has been flawless. If its been well maintained grab it. My bike is stock and the motor is untouched. I ride about twice a week during riding season in Connecticut. I ride hard and maintain it well. Best bike I ever owned.

It's harder to work on then a 2 smoker, but if its well maintained it should last at least two seasons. If it starts easy and runs good, don't worry about it. If you are concerned, check the valve clearance before you buy! (if the seller will let you).

If you can get an 03 from a dealer at that price and the bike is in great condition, I'd go for it!! I work at a dealership and if the bike is anything like "Red Rider 96v" said,starts easy, runs good, go for it!! They're great!! Good luck.

I had an '03, and it was in some ways easier to ride than the 05. I kinda miss it. You won't go wrong on that bike, especially at that price.

Be aware the 03 turned poorly until you put 20mm clamps on. Clamps are a must for any kind of moto.

I had an '03, and it was in some ways easier to ride than the 05. I kinda miss it. You won't go wrong on that bike, especially at that price.
How is the 03 better than the 05 in some ways? Thanks

crm;

I bought a used 03 at the beginning of the season. The guy I got it from told me it had been well maintained. When I started it in his garage I knew the jetting was wrong and therefore mad an assuption about the bike. I got the bike for 4200.00, went through and did the basic maint and changed out all the fluids reset the jetting (JD). and I think my biggest expense with the bike is going to be the in ordinate amount of rubber this bike consumes.

It will start on the first or second kick when its cold but will take 4-5 on the hotstart after she warms up. So I am going to think I am probably still running a bit rich.

Having come off an 02 WR 426, (my first actual motocross bike is this CRF 450) I now understand why I was getting thrashed at the harescrambles.

This bike goes like a bike should go turns like a bike should turn, flys straight and steady and begs for more.......

I love this bike......but I should have talked my friend into a different color bike.

Race

That sounds like a good deal to me. I've got an 03 and I haven't had any problems with it. I know the 02 had some handling problems but that was basically worked out for 03. I keep debating getting a new one, but I really can't think of good enough reason to upgrade. When I do buy a new bike I will probably still hold on to the one I've got.

the dont handle much better then the 02s.I just bought a 05 much better but then again im alot better rider now too.the 03 was my first big bike.20 offset clamps on 03 04 or 02 and your set

I have to say that's the best price I've ever seen on a used '03. It's either a great deal or something is wrong because it should be selling at around 4k - 3.5k at the cheapest.

buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

even if you had to do a valve job that still puts you at a typical used 03 price without the new valves. my 03 is: gas, oil, filter and go with 100 hours on it. I did change the tires and put on the renthal 971 bars though.

john

by the way, last HS i got the holeshot!