Sign in to follow this  

Kickstand Switch Diode

Hi,

I was wondering if I have to worry about the diode in the kickstand switch? Is it there to prevent a polarity reversal or just to debounce the switch? Can I safely bypass it by soldering the switch wires together? TIA 🙂

The diode will prevent reverse polarity on the ground wire from feeding into the CDI in the event of various possible (but unlikely) electrical fault conditions. I only know of 1 other post where the person choose to include the diode in the sidestand interlock bypass. Your choice.

i want to do this to. do i cut the connector that comes from the bike and then splice those two wires.

whats a diode? 🙂

Cut the wires going to the switch and twist them together.

I had to do it on the trail after a get-off that bent my stand & switch so

bad the circuit would not close. Good thing I had a sharp knife on me.

i want to do this to. do i cut the connector that comes from the bike and then splice those two wires.

whats a diode? 🙂

simply put it is a little gizmo that only lets current flow one way..

there a differant kinds but that is a basic explanation 🙂

I don't think it has been said yet on this latley , but. here goes.. Disconnect the switch from the bike, pull the seat off, follow the wires up under where the seat mounts, Cut and butt splice it there. It is a cleaner look, and if you ever decided to sell the bike the new owner could put it back on. I really don't know why they would but they could. 🙂

I bought a kickstand switch for a few dollars off of e-bay, then cut off the connector, added a diode to it, heat shrink wrapped the whole thing and plugged it in to the factory harness. If I ever want to get rid of it, I only have to unplug my contraption, and re-connect the original side stand switch.