Sign in to follow this  

Dyno Jet install

OK, I just got my Jet kitt and I'm getting ready to install it. I'm pretty mechanically inclined but these instructions are pretty vague. Do I need to remove the carb or gas tank to do the install? Even looking at Kawai's parts diagram I'm a little lost. Instructions don't mention anything about taking off the tank or carb. Anybody have a link to a detailed (pics help, I'm a visiual kind of guy) install write up? I would hate to pay someone to do what I know can be easily done.

You will need to remove the gas tank. After that you can loosen the clamps on the front and back of the carb and rotate the carb upside down when needed. FYI, the screws on top and bottom of the carb are very soft and will strip easily. I ended up replacing mine with socket head screws.

Alright I got the needle installed. Even drilled out the slide to 1/8" to make sure it seats well. Reading my instructions it says to go to a 132 MJ. Reading the Kawi site it states that the 132 is the off-road jet. If i'm running a 132 I shouldn't need to change it correct? BTW, still having trouble getting to the bottom. Too much junk in the way to turn it upsidedown.

I took my carb off when I installed. It was much easier to work with. I also tied up two rounds of the spring to make it come up easier.. but not too many to cause a bounce on rough terrian. I don't know if it helped any... but I heard it may.

If yo have the carb off... change the bowl bolts to hex head. That way you can remove the bowl without taking off the carb later. Much eaier to change the MJ if you have to later.

I removed the whole carb when I put my jet in. I just found it much easier to work with on the bench. To do this you have to remove the shrouds, tank and seat. Liberate the carb from the throttle cables, and up hook the fuel line. I agree the dynojet kit instructions are very brief. I believe they mention at what space to attach the clip and what jet for stock pipe, stock pipe with end removed and after market exhaust.

Do not be surprised if the new needle does not seat completely in the old needle hole. The kits have been coming lately with a needle that is too large. There are two ways to correct this. According to the dynojet techs you can a)take a smaller sized drill bit and use it to ream out the stock hole or b)sand down the diameter of the needle until it fits cleanly into the hole. I chose to sand down the needle so that I could get a nice clean fit. I did this by putting the needle into my drill chuck and holding sandpaper to the oversized part of the needle while I spun the drill. After a number of trials I was able to get a nice snug fit.

But I got ahead of myself. Your needle may fit without a mod.

Enjoy the new jet/needle it really helps.

I just did mine two weeks ago. I didn't take the carb out. I don't know what kind of elevation you are running in but if everything is stock on your exhaust, I would imagine use the 132. I have a FSW head pipe and I used the 128 with the pilot screw out 2 1/4 turns. It runs like a top from 3500 ft. up to about 8500 or 9000 ft. I also have the clip in the fourth slot. You won't believe the difference it will make. I took the seat and tank off and then took care of what needed to be done on the top of the carb. Then I rotated it about 1/3 of the way so I could get to the bottom and took that off, changed the jet, adjusted the pilot screw and put it all back together and it started on the second kick.

OK fellas, thanks for all of your help 🙂 I just finished up. I got my Jet kit in running the 132 MJ on the 4th clip and about 2 1/2 turns out. I also took off the air box top and installed my FMF Powercore 4 exhaust. My FSW header should be hear sometime next week. I'm going to actually do a write up on the DJ kit so if we get any new guys here they have a little more instructions to go off of. Thanks again guys. Going to run it tomorrow and fine tune the adjustment screw. Think I may havew to turn it in a little bit but not much 🙂

Bryan, be aware that the dynojet 132MJ is different than the OEM 132MJ. It flows more than a stock 132. I'd switch them out if you haven't already.

Thanks Bill, I got it open and found that it was the 128 so I did install the 132. Like I said, I havent really got to see how well it runs yet since it was late by the time I was finished.

i just install a dynojet kit on my klx300 2005..... the bike run great!!!

..yes you will need to take the tank off.

..then remove the carb. turn the carb upside down and take the cover off the float to remove the main jet..

.. my jet neadle didn't fit right in the side (sock slide hole was alittle small)

so i called dynojet. they said to drill hole that the neadle jet fits into to make it fix.... i did that....

... bike runs great!!!

Yup I did the same with the needle. Just bored it out to 1/8" Needle drops right in. I took it out and ran it Saturday and it really showed a big improvement in power, especially in the mid-upper range. In addition I put on an FMF Powercore 4 pipe (still waiting on my header) and removed the airbox lid. Still need to redo the crankcase breather though. I was stalling quite a bit though if I pulled in the clutch. Still trying to tweak the adjustment screw to get it to the balance of RPM in neutral/clutch in. As well as finding that sweet spot for starting. Pretty much dialed in though.