Sign in to follow this  

S or SM with 2 set of rims for aggressive trail riding ???

I'm getting ready to buy a DRZ .. I want to have 1 street legal bike that will be able do extreme trail riding, along with some jumping and use it for supermoto as well.

Mainly I need to do this because NY requires insurance on all types of bikes so having three insurance policys for keeping three different bikes gets costly.

So my questions are:

Would I be better off buying the SM and buying a second set of wheels to mount my dirt tires on?

Would the the fork on the SM be a better choice for an aggressive rider? >> hardcore trails >> some jumping

Also >> Are there any other differences between the S and SM between motors, swingarm, or anything you can think of?

Or should I get the S install rim locks and buy a second set set of supermoto wheels?

The big difference between the 2 aside from the wheels I see is the fork?

Anything else like swingarm width or linkage or is the rear suspension identical to the S model?

The SM has some nicer parts on it but is more expensive. The real downside is you're stuck with that huge rotor for trail rides...not ideal.

So you should probably get the S and get supermoto wheels like the above poster said.

Even better if NY lets you dualsport bikes then you should get the E and dualsport it and get SM wheels.

There was a thread about this a while ago. It was going to cost more time and money to change an SM to dirt than vice versa. Get the S, and buy some SM wheels and a 320mm disc. The suspension on the SM is RM based, but get the S forks revalved and you can 'bounce' pretty well.

Thanks to all for the replies so far!

Next question:

I see in some other posts that there are no real complaints about flats due to the no rim lock problem. I have always had rim locks on my bikes and never experianced the problems of the tire spining on the rim like I have heard about and imagine it would without them running lower pressure and riding aggrssively. So what I'm getting at is a question for the aggressive harescramble type riders running lower pressure.

How low have you been successfully running your tires without rim locks?

And if you have installed rim locks >> How are they on the highway at 70mph?

on the stock 18/21 wheels you can fit Rim lock holes are already there.

No real pb on the freeway, if not balanced you get some bouncing but no real deal. For the SM wheel you have higher preasure in the tires so no tire spin.

What I've been thinking about is getting a set of 18/21s for the SM and running those w/ an oversized rotor protector. I've heard a couple companies make a rotor cover that will fit the 310mm rotor. I know you loose just over an inch of ground clearance with the big rotor, but I don't ride gnarly enought trails that it would really make a difference.