Sign in to follow this  

used 2003 250

i am looking at a used 250 f 2003 and wanted to know any problems i should look for. any help would be appreciated.

first, do a search on buying used yzf250's. i did, and found a wealth of info and really great write-ups on what to look for.

on my bike here is what i wished i had looked at before buying....most are common before buying any used bike..

1. the swingarm. check to make sure is has no play, and that it moves freely. mine felt ok when i bought it, then a month later i dicovered i had a bout 1" of total travel. they were totally rusted up and packed with dirt. from what i have heard they are commonly disregarded in regular maintenance.

2. check to make sure te forks/bars are somewhat straight.

3. check the sprocket and chain. mine looked ok and the owner thought they were pretty new (sponsored kid who didnt do his own work), but turned out they were pretty old.

that is all i cant think off the top of my head. like i said, there are some good write ups of general questions to ask the owner before giving up the cash. take a look at those, and make sure to take your time. anyone who is in a hurry to sell usually has something up there sleeve...

josh

Ask the seller to take the bike to a local shop for an inspection at your expense. Most dealers only charge an hour of labor to really inspect the bike and give you a non baised report.