Sign in to follow this  

Dyno Blues......

Ahhh! So I have an 04X, I run supermoto with it so I shed the headlight, rear fender and got some SM wheels. I recently went through the motor, put in a JE hi comp piston, CHM SM1 exhaust, had the head ported and polished. I initially started with the HotCams and dynod it and got a peak number of 30.22, and it was flat on top. I then installed a 04R cam and re-ran the dyno and got a peak number of 31.11, but it is still flat on top. FYI, on this dyno a stock 05R was putting out a peak number of 28.23.

Why is my motor falling flat on top? The only assumption I have come to is the X ignition is retarded compared to the R, is that correct? I can get my hands on a 05R ignition but its a different plug than where the current CDI box is plugged in. What gives? Do I need to get an R wiring harness?

I will try and put the actual pic of the dyno runs up later, need to find a scanner.

did you disable the pink wire?

I have been thinking about getting the R wiring harness myself. I'm not sure what it will take as far as installation though...and I cant seem to find the part number to look up the price. Vortex makes a programable ignition, I would imagine that would allow you to run higher RPM's, maybe get the R model Vortex.

yup, first day i got it. airbox is opened up, backfire screen is removed.

Id say get an aftermarket ignition and tune the ignition for the top end. Id make a bet it wouldnt be flat up top.

novaman, I assume you have jetted this bike? A ported head can require drastically different jetting specs, plus you changed the cam, opened the airbox, etc.,...sometimes they can take much leaner mains due to a more efficient process. On my 2003 CRF450, once RHC ported it and I was running his cam, and I had a good pipe, I had to go all the way from a 170-ish main to a 155......the stronger engine has more "signal" and can draw more fuel through a given size jet than a stock engine....

novaman, I assume you have jetted this bike? A ported head can require drastically different jetting specs, plus you changed the cam, opened the airbox, etc.,...sometimes they can take much leaner mains due to a more efficient process. On my 2003 CRF450, once RHC ported it and I was running his cam, and I had a good pipe, I had to go all the way from a 170-ish main to a 155......the stronger engine has more "signal" and can draw more fuel through a given size jet than a stock engine....

It is jetted properly and we double checked by throwing a O2 senser in it on the dyno. I am perfect with a 162 main, R needle on the 3rd clip, 42 pilot and a 48 leak.

From what I have found looking online so far is that the X and R use different ignition modules, Vortex makes one specifically for the X and one for the R. Wiring harnesses are only $55 but it looks like I would need to change stators and almost all the wiring on the bike. I really dont want to dump $400 on a ignition that im not 100% sure would fix the prob. Maybe I will save my $$$, deal with the power I have for this season and turn my bike back into a trail bike and look for a deal on a R. Its jsut bothering me that my bikes not running to its potential. Ahhhh, frustrated! I put so much money and time into this motor and it should be putting out more power. Ok, im done venting now. 🙂

I have a vortex x10 on my R and it made a seat of the pants difference big time.

I talked to a few prestigeuous motor builders about them and they said they really dont do much unless you custom tune them to your bike on a dyno, at least on a R anyways.

from my comparisons with Carmichael hondas dual wheel dyno it reads about 2 hp low compared to mine .even though you should be @ somthing like 35-36 hp with u4 fuel and the mods you have

On there dyno their 250 race motors are putting out about 35-36 HP and the curve isnt going flat at 9,000RPM like mine is, and these motors are built near identical.

Something else is up for sure, I would be grabbing someone elses std cdi box and plugging that in if you think that it is at fault.

Vortex to me is all about how and where the power is delivered, moving the power and torque to different parts of the rev range does amazing things.

I am sure something else is up with yours.