Sign in to follow this  

stupid welding question

I need to weld a new tab for my kickstand on the swingarm of my 95 ATK 250 LQ. Does anyone know if you have to unhook any electrics to prevent damaging my coil, stator, etc when using my mig welder?

Thanks,

Marc Frost

Indianapolis, IN

95 ATK 250 LQ

86 Honda TLR200 trials bike

Only if you want it to start when you're through...

Might be easier to remove the swingarm... 🙂

If you are worried, disconnect both battery leads (if you have one) and unplug the spark plug. Open any connectors on the harness that you can see.

You'll probably be okay without doing anything AS LONG AS the welder's ground is solid and close to the point being welded with no electrical connections between the two.

I've welded on my bike hauler with it mounted up on my Tundra's hitch and had no effect on the truck.

I would recommend disconnecting any and all grounds.....

if you are welding near any bearings and or seals, you may be able to wrap the area with wet rags to keep the temp down to a minimum is that area....

be carfule not to burn yourself and/or the bike to the ground......

if you are using electric welding....ground as close to the area you are welding to aviod current travel through the bike...

have fun, and good luck..........

🙂

Most importantly.........dont let "stupid" do the welding.... 🙂

I wouldn't weld on the bike unless it was mig or tig.

No oxy/acetylene welding, way too much heat for too long a period. 🙂

just unplug the black box , cdi unit . also disconnect the charging regulator .two minute job . take the fuel tank off and drain the fuel from the

carb , you dont want the bike going on fire!!!, and as one of the others said, use wet towels to protect the bike from weld splatter

from somebody who's built offshore boats out of aluminum, formula car monoque's etc. if your swing are is aluminum, it'll need to be stress releaved and reheat treated, shouldalso be done for chro-mol frame and swingarms. should be tig welded only. use the proper rod--4130 or euro equivilint. I would thinkthat the sidestand would be mounted oon the frame anyway..no ??? 25 years of fab and several college courses in metaluralagy say do it right...

You guys with your high tech replys....keep it nice and simple. Remember we are talking "stupid welding" here, not rocket science..... 😛😛:applause:😛😛😛:eek:🙂😛

Use lowest heat possible that allows penetration and DON'T ground and weld on opposite sides of the swingarm bearings. The current will travel through the bearings and can sometimes arc and ruin them. If you weld carefully you won't have to worry about heat treating either.