Sign in to follow this  

Brown Mtn - First time advise???

Hopefully my son and I will get our first chance to ride Brown Mtn next week 🙂 I'll be visiting my sister in the area during the week (Mon - Fri) and will be taking the bikes. Missed out on the WNC TT ride cause my wife had surgery that weekend.

Any of you regulars have advise? Best trails? Trails to avoid? My son and I have been riding about a year and a half. Since we live on the coast, we are mostly used to sand and whoops. Have ridden Enoree and Parson's mountain... but that is the closest to hills we've been on. So, we will probably start out on the easy trails and work up to some moderate. I've got the map from the web site.....

Any suggestions are welcome!!! thanx Matt 🙂

It sounds like you have got a pretty good plan. If you are not used to the rocks, it may be a tad challenging in spots but if you are smart enough to have planned to check out the easier trails first then I am sure you will have no trouble. Try going straight up 1 till you turn left on 4. at the end of 4 you can turn right and then take your next right a ways down on 6. this will take you back to 1 which can bring you back to where you turned onto 4. those are the easy trails. Once you are used to the rocks you can hop on trail 9 and bear off on trail 10 a ways down. 10 is kind of intermediate.

or you can ride 1A to 2 to 9 which is a giant loop and pretty technical- better get a little oriented first. and watch out for the idiots on quads

I appreciate the advise! Any areas to avoid? I visited Uwharrie a year or so ago, and started off on Daniel trail..... big mistake for a novice 🙂 Learned my lesson..... will try to research this a little better. again thanks

Brown Mt. only has one parking area so you won't be faced with a Daniel kind of situation. That is only having one very difficult trail to traverse prior to getting to more civilized routes. From the parking lot at Brown there is trail 1 that basically goes up the Mt. The other trails basically branch off 1. 1 is not a hard trail; you can drive a truck up most of it. Trail 1a branches off 1 just past the picnic pavilion. You might want to avoid 1a until you try out trails 6, 8 and 4. The single track trails are nice and tight and a bit rooted. Not real hard, just tight. After getting the feel of the Mt. and if you feel like more of a challenge take trail 1a up the hill and return down on 9. Brown is a much better riding area than Uwharrie. The trails are not as difficult for the most part because full sized trucks and jeeps don't use it. The soil structure doesn't contain nearly as much clay so it is two wheel ride able as soon as any rain stops. If you hit it mid week it won't be very crowded. Bring a lunch as that there is not much around the place. Another notable thing is bike gearing. Like Uwharrie Brown doesn't have flat, wide open, top gear, full speed terrain. It is mostly 1-3 for me on my DRZ400 using 14/49 sprockets. So if your bikes are geared for more speed than grunt you may want to make a change.

Dont install new tires, they will be shot! If I were carrying my kid, I would run the 1-4-6-1 back to the head to get oriented, then run 1A-{4 or 6}- 1 for an interesting ride. If the kid handles that well, run 1-9. 10 is a nice trail, entered from 9, leads back to 1.

3 would be about the toughest, rocky, rooty, very technical.

Dont bring alcohol, dont ride the road outside the trailhead. There is a ranger there that would write his own mother a ticket for improper biohazardous waste disposal, for spitting on the ground! Its just the one ranger, the other USFS people are good folks.

Robert

Again, thanks for the input 🙂 Looks like the biggest unknown at this time will be the weather. Sounds like the trails will dry up reasonable fast, so we should be able to get some time in. I may try to pick up a counter sprocket with one less tooth....should be a little better on the hills. Will be in a silver honda van with trailer, red and blue bikes. Maybe we'll see some of ya'll there. Happy trails! 🙂

yea watck out for the ranger there,just paid a ticket from the last time i was there,although he was nice about the consealed weapon(9mm).

Anyways dont hit trail 3,very tech,I made that mistake the last time there,and crashed. 1a is tech also but not as bad as 3. all the other trail are pretty good,I like 9. If you didnt have any problems at uhwarrie you will love brown,and you are crazy going up daniel,I hate going down it,as a matter of fact have not been back to uhwarrie,too many 4 wheel drives and 4 wheel dumies/with no helmets 🙂

Good advice so far.

As far as the area rules, just use common sense and be respectable and you will have no trouble with the rangers. I am sure that you as a father (like me) realize that when we abuse places like this in any negative way then we are condemning our children to ride in their backyard with their kids. :eek:🙂 Enough on that.

Remember the easiest trails are even #'s (with the exception of the main road #1 (easiest) and #2 (intermediate) which skirts the backside of the ride area). Starting out of the parking lot, go straight up #1. Try out #4 (easy), #6 (mostly easy), #8 (easy), or #10 (mostly easy). Just remember that #6, & #10 each have a technical rocky spot in them that you may have to assist your little one at. My son has taken his CRF50 around these trails twice now and only has trouble at one spot on #10.

Do not go on #3, #5, or #7, unless you are having no challenge at all on the aforementioned trails. These are tight singletrack trails.

Good luck and have fun. :applause: