Sign in to follow this  

Blue Needle in Hot Weather???

The temp is running in the 90's now and I was wondering what the consequences would be running Blue #3 instead of Red #5. I've been dealing with the dreaded bog for a long time, so I'm going back to Square 1, i.e. stock jetting and changing one item at a time to see where the improvements are.

I've been running a 48 Pilot/100 PAJ/165 Main/35 Leak/Red #5/Boyesen Quickshot/Full FMF System/Free Mods/PowerNow/Open Airbox/Zip-Ty FS. With all of this, my idle was hunting and I had an off-idle bog if I wacked the throttle too fast.

I ride in the lower 5000' range primarily, so the JD Kit instructions call for a 168 Main and Blue #3, but I'm not sure due to the high temps. My main concern is getting rid of this damn bog without richening things up too much to the point that I start fouling plugs. I thought I had a handle on the whole jetting issue, but I've decided that I've been in the dark more than I originally figured...SC

If the jetting seems fine other than when you crack the throttle, then I'd start with the leak jet. I think the quickshot lenthens the ap squirt about the same as dropping 5-10 on the leakjet. With 35 leak jet + quickshot you may be too long on the ap squirt. I used a 40 leakjet on my yz250f and it was a little too long. Then when I added the quickshot it was way too long and I had to go back to a 60 leakjet. No bog. Have you timed the AP?

I've always run the blue needle in the summer in my 250. I've never had a problem, but I've never experimented with the red on either, so I may be missing something. I don't have any bogging, but I chalk that up to proper AP squirt and timing.

I've timed it again and again to the manual's specs. Perhaps the combo of the Quickshot and the 35 or 40 leak jet is the issue. I'll give that a shot first...SC

i thought the blue needle was for cold temps and red for hot 🙂

maybe try red #3 pos

I switched from blue in the winter, red in the summer and haven't skipped a beat.

The temp is running in the 90's...

I've been dealing with the dreaded bog for a long time...

I've been running a 48 Pilot/100 PAJ/165 Main/35 Leak/Red #5/Boyesen Quickshot...

and I had an off-idle bog if I wacked the throttle too fast.

I ride in the lower 5000' range primarily

Clark4131,

The temperature and elevation need leaner jetting, both on the pilot jet and needle, and possibly the leak jet. The stock #45 pilot jet and red neeedle in middle clip will lean your jetting to a better performing combination. The main jet does not need a change with the other corrections. A #35 leak jet is excessive with the other changes too.

-The pump cover, which has a minimal effect, will not solve your bogging condition. The cover "might" add 10%, but dropping from a #50 leak to a #35 is going to increase pump flow by about 50%. Check and time the pump flow to confirm. The #35 leak will flow about 1 second with either pump cover. The stock #50 will pump for about 2/3 second, again, with either pump cover.

If you need additional help, feel free to send an email.

Thanks,

James

JDJetting@comcast.net

05 wr 450

elevation 4000-8000

temp 70-90

JD red #4

pilot 45

main 168

Pas 1 1/2

I can not remember the leak sorry