Sign in to follow this  

rear brake bleeding nightmare

I went to put on the rear brake extender for the master cylinder and also to change my fluid. I CANNOT get all of the air out of the line or master for some reason. I even took it off and "bench bled" it. I probably have went through the whole bottle of brake fluid 2 or 3 times trying to find out why I can[t get all the air out. The pedal still goes clear down without doing any thing. I have bled alot of brakes so I am used to ::push the pedal,crack open the bleeder and tighten, then let up the lever back up . any ideas on what in the world I could be doing wrong? ,Its on a 05 450 exc.,Thanks :

Obviously, there's still air in the MC. A Mity Vac is a nice way to get lots of fluid moving through the system and motivate that air along. Careful, you'll drain the MC really fast!

Interesting "problem"... A neighbor put some chrome thingy on his Hardley and requested some help bleeding his breaks. Since I started using the Mity Vac a number of years ago I don't do a brake bleed without it. We start sucking and we keep sucking and sucking and sucking and sucking; you get the idea. We even ran through all the containers of DOT 5 he had for the job. The next night we start at it again.

Something ain't right. Using the Mity Vac it has never taken this much fluid to purge the system of air. I start to go over all the components of the brake system.

Any guesses?? He never torqued down the MC banjo bolt. It was tight enough to not leak fluid but not air tight. Once torqued the Mity Vac had the system ready to ride in three minutes.

I'd suggest back bleeding it. I have a how-to on it at the link at the bottom of this post.