Sign in to follow this  

KLR Altitude Jetting

I have a KLR A18 CA model and have transplanted myself and the bike(s) to Colorado where everything and everybody is 5000 feet or higher. To say the least the mix is phat!

Does anyone know what jet sizes and slide / needle settings work best at altitude?

Thanks for the info!

Stock jetting usually works better at altitude than at sea level. Do you have a jet kit installed, that you're way too rich?

The other thing you can try is pulling the rubber snorkel out of the airbox, for a very slight leaning.

Running stock carb with DynoJet Kit installed. It actually runs okay, it just feels rich as it will start stone cold with no choke and has "flooded" a couple of times upon a hot start - at sea level where I used to live I always had to use choke to get it started when cold.

The dynojet instructions are really, really rich. Too rich IMHO, even at sea level.

What other mods have you made to the bike? Pipe? Air filter? How many turns out is the pilot mixture screw?

Richness with the pilot circuit will give you crappy pick-up rolling back onto the throttle, and also sometimes hard hot starting. Richness on the needle and main jet usually just results in crappy fuel mileage and reduced power. I would drop the needle one notch, turn in the mixture screw 3/4 turn, and think about going to the Dynojet main that is equivalent to the stock main jet. Do these things one at a time though.....