Sign in to follow this  

UFO Taillight

I installed my new UFO taillight. I was wiring it up and everything was going great. I ran into an issue where my brake light does not work. The signal lights work, the tail light comes on, but when I press the brake the light does not get brighter. I have connected the last 2 wires and then swapped the connections. Nothing I do causes the break light to brighten when I press the brake. Someone please help. Any Ideas?

Need more info????

Did you replace the rear banjo bolt with a hydraulic switch (if this is an E bike).

I would question the bulb as well...I just installed mine yesterday. Everything works fine. If you want...I'll go pull my seat and verify the wire colors for you.

I also chose to use the radio shack 20w halogen bulbs...made the blinkers much brighter and nice and slow when they blink. All the DRZ's should come with a unit similar to this. Much nicer than those damn stalks hanging out the side of the bike.

The only complaint I have is that the license plate holes do not match up...so I have to head over to my buddies shop and get a piece of stock to make a little bracket. And...cut off the reflector. I'm not a big fan of the big ole rear fender hanging down that far.

For the price....I think it looks great.

I would question the bulb as well...I just installed mine yesterday. Everything works fine. If you want...I'll go pull my seat and verify the wire colors for you.

I also chose to use the radio shack 20w halogen bulbs...made the blinkers much brighter and nice and slow when they blink. All the DRZ's should come with a unit similar to this. Much nicer than those damn stalks hanging out the side of the bike.

The only complaint I have is that the license plate holes do not match up...so I have to head over to my buddies shop and get a piece of stock to make a little bracket. And...cut off the reflector. I'm not a big fan of the big ole rear fender hanging down that far.

For the price....I think it looks great.

If you would not mind checking to see which color is the brake and which is the taillight/license plate, I would really appreciate it. I am going to get the Radio Shack light bulbs today and I will get a new brake light bulb also.

I have the:

blue connected to black and white

red connected to white and black

black connector to grey

Even when I switched the blue and red wires I had no break light, but the tail light seemed brighter.

It looks so much better than stock!!!! 🙂

Anybody got some comparison pics?

How about weight? Anybody compare UFO to stock during the install?

Would this be a good mod to shave a few pounds?

I don't have the exact weights, but the UFO is significantly lighter. My wife even said, "That cleans up the lines of the bike and makes it look real good." Can't argue with a complement on the bike from the wife 🙂

Well, after purchasing & installing new bulbs, the brake light would not brighten!! Disassembling the old brake light gave up the secret... The gray wire is NOT the ground wire after all!!! Once the wiring was corrected, everything worked as it should. Added the license plate bracket from the old tail assembly to mount the plate. Now the bike is not only functional, but is street legal (well... close enough) & looking great!!

🙂

Thanks for all of your help

🙂

DRZWidow (Deadman's wife)

"Now I have alot of extra parts" --- Deadman

The UFO light might shed a little weight, but the real advantage is that the turn signals are tucked way in and much better protected from crashes, and snagging tree limbs. It also looks about a million times better than the amazingly ugly stock thing that hangs down about 2 feet. It's worth the money just to make the bike look better.

Does anybody have any pictures of this ufo tailight installed? Is their any other tail assemblies out their I should look at that are similiar?

Thanks!

How clean is the actual installation itself? I like the overall look of the UFO taillight, but I kinda' wonder about mounting up anything that's listed as a "universal" part. I'd be much more inclined to buy one if they had something that bolted right up to the original mounting points.

The installation is very clean. I put a UFO on my bike and people tell me it looks like a factory part. I made an extra bracket hoop underneath to make it really secure and I put two countersunk screws through it from the top into the frame. It does not move at all. PM me with your email address and I will send a picture of the installation. I don't think that you can do better and stay legal enough to avoid a ticket.

It mounts great and looks factory. That is aslong as you don't mind having screws showing on top of yout back fender. I put 4 screws through my fender to hold the light on to be more secure.

Does anybody have any pictures of this ufo tailight installed

BEFORE Yoshexhaust.jpg

AFTER ufo-taillt.jpg

I used countersunk head screws to make them blend into the fender.

I also put a loop support under the UFO tail light from the existing frame tabs and connected the front of the UFO light to that with the screws below the fender. It looks great and making the extra support up front made the installation rock solid.

The support up front was made from a piece of scrap aluminum strip and I contoured it to match the profile of the UFO light and attached it to the old tabs where I removed the original rear fender connections.

In my opinion the UFO is not much of an improvement. I went with the Baja Designs LED tail. Very sleek. I could have omitted the turn signals in my state...but wen with some Mini LED turn signals attached to the Baja Tail. Looks great.

cropped_tail.JPG

I just got a set of UFO front and rears with the integrated turn signals. I'll do the photojournalism bit when I install if I can ref link the pics from something like webshots.

Deadman...glad to see you got it worked out...I promised I would go out and check the wiring for you..Things got hectic around here and I never got to it.

But just for future reference...

Tail/brake wiring.

UFO......................DRZ

Black.....................Black w/white tracer

Blue.......................White w/black tracer

Red........................Grey

In my opinion the UFO is not much of an improvement.

Agreed. That UFO one isn't great looking either. If I ever get my DRZ it'll be sporting something like that LED kit.