Sign in to follow this  

throttle & carb questions

Hi there,

am as new as a newbie :D can get, got two questions '00 xr4 carb the black knob thingy accessible from the left carb side is the idling screw 🙂 ?

how can i adjust for it to reach rich cuz mine currently running on lean not goood :D for high revs might choke sometimes

also if a daytona single cable throttle is good :D ?heard it can be installed on the bike for "fast" throttle response?

if so then what's the point of honda putting up the "open/close" (dual cable)throttle? 🙂

advise pls :D

The black knob is the idle speed. It has nothing to do with the mixture. If you need to richen your bike you will need to fit a new main jet. What did you do to your bike to make the standard jetting not work? A single cable throttle will not make your throttle response any better I believe. The idea of the dual cable set up was for reliability I think. Hope this helps a bit.

Hi there,

am as new as a newbie :D can get, got two questions '00 xr4 carb the black knob thingy accessible from the left carb side is the idling screw 🙂 ?

how can i adjust for it to reach rich cuz mine currently running on lean not goood :D for high revs might choke sometimes

also if a daytona single cable throttle is good :D ?heard it can be installed on the bike for "fast" throttle response?

if so then what's the point of honda putting up the "open/close" (dual cable)throttle? 🙂

advise pls :D

As stated above the black knob is an idle screw, raises and lowers idle speed. If you want to richen the mixture you can do a number of things, if you post up your predictament we can futher assist, for example i have a few mods in sig and i am lean on both the pilot and MJ. This morning i riched the fuel screw on the pilot circuit and it iradicated the popping under heavy decelration, but because i am outside the fuel screws optimal range i need to bump up one of the pilot jet to a 48 and lean it back inside the optimal range of about 1.5 to 2.5 turns out. Sorry this willi guarantee be completely confusing for a noobie.

I heave heard of people cutting the return cable on the throttle setup. I personally haven't done it.

The only 2 ways to get fast throttle response is to have the stock carb setup 100% completely perfect or go for one of the pumper carbs check out the TT store.

The 2 cable setup is also a safety thing. In case of a stuck throttle on single cable carbs, you can't close the throttle. The engine winds out and you're just along for the ride until you can get it shut down or crash. Been there, done that, broke my back because of it. The 2 cable setup pulls the slide closed when you close throttle, instead of relying on a spring only.

Like was ais earlier, post your current jetting, elevation, intake/exhaust mods if any and we can suggest things to help.