Sign in to follow this  

05 rf250 refuses to start.

I have an 05 crf250, last time we were out I noticed it was getting harder to start. I immediatly thought, valves. I tried to start it today, and it would not start. I took the plug out, (that thing is tiny!hehe) It was very black and corroded looking. I tried to turn it over with the plug out to check if it had spark, but its very hard to turn over, like it still had alot of compression. Is it just because the spark plug hole is so tiny, or because my valves are way out of adjustment? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I would check your valves to be on the safe side. Other than that try two quick twists of the throttle and kick it without touching the throttle.

You had the tank off...2 more bolts and the valve cover is off so you can check the valves.

Read the sticky at the top of the page.

When I check my valves I just rotate the engine over by hand till I hear a click from the decomp, that means the engine is at TDC. That way you don't have to check any timing marks. You do have to rotate the engine just a hair more to check the exhaust valves.

Definately check the valves. I would check the timing marks though. I you are off by one tooth the bike will run really badly if it even starts. I have a '05 CRF250 and check the valves about every 2 months (10-12) rides. The Honda manual probably recommends more frequent checks.