Sign in to follow this  

saving time on removing head

While I've got my X apart for new piston and stuff, I decided to try and find a quicker way to get the top end of the motor off. Somebody else may have tried this I don't know, but did a search and came up with o.

If you take the tank seat and s/covers off, remove the 2 bottom subframe bolts and loosen the top one, loosen the carb on the rubber at the barrell side, leaving the rubber on the head, then swing the subframe up about 1-2'' bringing the carb with it, and putting a block under it. You can get the head and barrell of :D

Note, you may have to pull the carb out the first time as my bottom engine mount on the back of the engine had the bolt in from behind the hot start and you can't get it out 🙂

Doing it this way saved me hours on dissasembly and assembly and it's now a piece of cake to do. No dam throttle cables or wiring to dissconnect shock to lossen or anything. Head and barrel come out through the top of the frame rails.

Just thought I'd share this with anybody who had'nt discovered it. 🙂

great tip---had to dig to find it---but after hearing how hard to get air boot on---decided to give it a try ----thanks

That is how I have always done it. Good tip

I can do a piston, adjust valves in about 1 1/2 hours if no one interupts me :D

While I've got my X apart for new piston and stuff, I decided to try and find a quicker way to get the top end of the motor off. Somebody else may have tried this I don't know, but did a search and came up with o.

If you take the tank seat and s/covers off, remove the 2 bottom subframe bolts and loosen the top one, loosen the carb on the rubber at the barrell side, leaving the rubber on the head, then swing the subframe up about 1-2'' bringing the carb with it, and putting a block under it. You can get the head and barrell of :eek:

Note, you may have to pull the carb out the first time as my bottom engine mount on the back of the engine had the bolt in from behind the hot start and you can't get it out :D

Doing it this way saved me hours on dissasembly and assembly and it's now a piece of cake to do. No dam throttle cables or wiring to dissconnect shock to lossen or anything. Head and barrel come out through the top of the frame rails.

Just thought I'd share this with anybody who had'nt discovered it. :D

you betcha ya baby !!

god i don't ever take cables off or remove the carb from the bike,

you can just flop stuff out the way and get the hole top end off and re- done very efficiently by leaving everthing in place.

i have had customers bring me their bike in pieces , :eek: ,

and hell it will take me two days to get the dam thing together,

i just wonder what the hell were they thinking !!!

i just had a buddy of mine bring his 250r all a part, :D:D

i could have done the job in about 2 1/2 hrs ,

and it took me 3 days to get the thing back :eek:

My engine guy told me to pull the head and send it to him. Can you give me some more detail on your short cut?

Same here. I left the the rubber piece between the cylinder and carb ON the carb.

Cannot remember who recommended it, but just leaving the shrouds on the tank is nice time saver. It also make storing the tank easier.

Any tip that saves time is always welcomed!!

Same here. I left the the rubber piece between the cylinder and carb ON the carb.

Cannot remember who recommended it, but just leaving the shrouds on the tank is nice time saver. It also make storing the tank easier.

Any tip that saves time is always welcomed!!

drain coolent and , dump trans and engine oil .

well, pop off seat, yes leave the tank and shrouds , petcock , fuel hose all in one piece and flop it off and set it down with all the fasteners setting with it.

remove the one upper subframe bolt and one carb clamp and remove the pipe and rt number plate and pivot the subframe back toward the rear tire with the carb still on the air box,

remove the upper head stay bracket and three bolts ,

pop rocker cover , tensioner , remove cam and carrier, and remove head and cylinder and there you are baby !!

simple deal ----

all the work is in the cylinder prep, cleaning ,head porting and rebuilding, clearancing.

very little work in the removing and reassembling the bike itself !