Sign in to follow this  

06 450 water pump

That would help if you know the exact size, the exact angle and the exact depth at which to drill. I do see your point and makes perfect sense to me, if you figure out those demensions on the drill hole, let me know, I'll do mine too!!!! For now, mine is an 02 450R and no problems what so ever with it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!! Let us know if you find out anything more!!

I'll spend spend the $17.27 it costs for a new impeller and have piece of mind.

If you're not an engineer, why would you take a chance? Who knows what you could screw up... you could throw off the balance or create some crazy turbulence that slows coolant flow down (overheating your bike).

I know I'm exaggerating, but why be cheap with your $7,000 MX bike? Spend the $17 bucks and do it right.

Are all of you having problems overheating? Mine has never boiled over except if left to idle for a long time. &%$#@!?

If you understand how the hole works you'd be less intimidated by drilling your own hole. And looking at that gives me one of those "Damn, why didnt I think of that" thoughts running through my head...

The placement of the hole close to the center will prevent too much pressure from building in the area...

This is probably a stupid question... but where would somebody go to buy that part?

This is probably a stupid question... but where would somebody go to buy that part?

Um. . . I'll hold my tongue. . . . how about your local Honda dealer. . . ? :applause:

You can buy it straight from the Thumpertalk Store. The 05 impeller costs $17.27. I can't imagine the 06 impeller will cost too much more when it becomes available. :applause:

no, i have never had mmy 05 boiler over a drop unless i let it sit and idle for a long time while im doing something too it

Are all of you having problems overheating? Mine has never boiled over except if left to idle for a long time. &%$#@!?

We aren't talking about over-heating.

The 2006 CRF450R has an updated impeller that improves water pump seal life. They did this by putting a hole in the impeller that creates positive pressure on the seal instead of a vacuum like on earlier models.

The 2006 impeller will fit any crf450 (2002-2006).

I had an 02 crf450 and now an 05 and have never had any mechanical problems with either bike, but will definitely change impellers just for cheap insurance.

How long will it take until you will be able to ship you old impeller for $2.95 via USPS to some person in Indiana or Iowa who will drill it and send it back for $9.99 and make $6 on each job? Then Boyesen will make one for $29.99 that looks practically the same as the '06 OEM one, but some moto-rag magazine will 'test' it and say is reduces the probability of a seal failure by 11.5% and give it 4 stars (then turn the page and there is a paid ad for the Boyesen one)!

Gotcha! :applause: Thanks for clarifying.

We aren't talking about over-heating.

The 2006 CRF450R has an updated impeller that improves water pump seal life. They did this by putting a hole in the impeller that creates positive pressure on the seal instead of a vacuum like on earlier models.

The 2006 impeller will fit any crf450 (2002-2006).

I had an 02 crf450 and now an 05 and have never had any mechanical problems with either bike, but will definitely change impellers just for cheap insurance.

My seal is constantly wearing out, I put a new one in, bike runs for about 2 minutes and starts dripping again. Anyone know what else to do...? I have replaced the shaft, seals and bearing twice and then just a new water seal... and still it leaks. Other than getting the new impeller which is on order.