Sign in to follow this  

No Cam Retaining Clip

So I took apart my 02 wr250 again today to change the cam timing to YZ specs, and you guessed it, there was no cam retaining clip on the exhaust side. 🙂 I was disgusted so I just moved the cam the one tooth over and put the valve cover back on to keep crap from falling in. Previous owners are the pits. I've had the bike for less than a week. :D

Anyway, does anyone know if running it without the clips could have damaged anything? There were no signs of wear or anything, but I know I shouldn't run it without those clips in there anymore. I am almost positive I didn't drop it out or anything, I was watching just in case as I was forewarned by TT. Just wondering what could have already been done by riding it like that before. 🙂

The clip holds the cam on center laterally. Without it, the cam lobe may run out of position on the lifter, and the chain may track off line, each of which could cause abnormal wear. In an extreme circumstance, the cam lobe may strike the head or cam cap, shaving off metal.

With the cam chain off, move the cam axially to see where it might contact stationary parts. If there is no sign of wear or contact, it's still possible that the retaining clip slipped down into the void during disassembly. Of course the chain may have been holding it in place. The bad part is, unless you take it all the way apart, you'll never be sure. 🙂

Yeah that is what I was figuring. Our local Yamaha dealer blows too, they never have normal parts like sprockets, brakes, cam retaining clips, they always have to order. Now I must wait a week to ride the beast! :D🙂 I will fish around inside the cam chain compartment with a magnet just in case. It looks like one of those slap-on-head-check-all-the-parts situations, then just put the parts in. I can't help what the previous owner did or didn't do...🙂 Thanks for the help. :D

spend $10 at the dealer and get the flywheel remover. pull the flywheel off and then pull the stator base plate off.

This will let you look at the bottom of the timing chain and at the crank gear. Make real sure the c clip isnt lodged down in there, as it has a bad tendency to find it's way into the gap betwen the stator windings and the flywheel. It will cost you $250 to replace the stator windings when it does that.

spend $10 at the dealer and get the flywheel remover. pull the flywheel off and then pull the stator base plate off.

This will let you look at the bottom of the timing chain and at the crank gear. Make real sure the c clip isnt lodged down in there, as it has a bad tendency to find it's way into the gap betwen the stator windings and the flywheel. It will cost you $250 to replace the stator windings when it does that.

Great advice. You can fish all week, and nothing you do would pull the clip free of the flywheel magnets once they get hold of it.

Besides, you need to own a flywheel puller anyway. 🙂

🙂🙂:D

Yup. AND, if the previous owner was as big a dope as you suspect, you probably ought to replace the timing chain while you've got it apart. Only $19 well-spent dollars.

Wow this is great advice, I don't have a manual yet though. By any chance does anyone have an extra on TT? I have been looking around and have only found one on ebay but for a 2001. Is there a significant difference between the two years to not get that manual? Ok another thing, since I don't have the manual I don't know exactly what is in here. On the shifter side of the bike, you take the plug out to determine TDC. Well I am assuming that cover is for the stator, I went to take it off today to look in there, oil still in bike, and oil started dripping out. Is the stator oil bathed, is it coming out of some compartment I wouldn't guess would be in there. AFAIK there is a wet and dry bearing side to a motor, stator being dry. Is it different on these four strokes?

By the looks of what you are suggesting I really should do a little preventative maintenance. The cam chain is only 12.99 from TT, but does anyone know if they have flywheel pullers? I searched but it is inconclusive right now. I am sure I could email someone from the store and get an answer in the coming days. Anyway first thing is first, searching for manual....

yep, drain the oil before you pull the left side cover! once you pull that you'll run into the flywheel. i'm not sure about the yamaha flywheel puller. i bought the motion pro puller which works great. after you get off you'll need a t30 torx bit to pull the stator. after that you have direct access to the crank sprocket.

good luck with the clip!

you can download a copy of the manul from thumperfaq.com, lots of great maintenence info up there too. There's been only internal mods to the engines, pretty much any year will work for engine stuff.

Brilliant! Thanks for the tip about downloading the manual. That saves a huge hassle. Thanks!

you should be able to fish the clip out. i dropped mine and i got it out with a telescopic magnet.

i dropped mine in my engine. If u cant find it with the magnet pull the ignition cover off it might be down by ur fly wheel. It happened to me it can happen to u. definetley dont run it. search for it, it might b there. Well Good luck tell us if u find it down there... just my 2 cents

Ok, well I am working on getting the flywheel puller but can't tell exactly which one I need. I have heard that the flywheel puller for the 400f and 426 would work for the 250f but am not sure. I just want to make sure I have all the right stuff so I don't have to wait even longer. Will Part Numer: SS-1XX work from this catalog? Or for some reason do I need the SS-54 because of the bike being a WR?

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Parts_Unlimited_Offroad_2005/default.asp?p=1062&s=1

Thanks.

u want the ss-54 for a 400-426 trust me it will work. the YZ puller will be wrong since u have wr and the flywheel is different. i bought the one for the yz thinking it woukld be the same nope it was different so get the one for the Wr400-426

you sure about that? the 54 is a right hand thread and the wr's didnt change to right hand threaded flywheels until 03 I believe.

In checking the parts fiche, I see that the '02 WR426F and the '02 WR250F both use the 5NG-85550-50-00 flywheel rotor, so it would appear that the SS-54 is correct choice among those listed. The '03 and up e-start models, which are "inside-out" flywheels, require female puller threads.