Sign in to follow this  

Dual Sport Kits?

I'm getting ready to buy a KTM(and make it street legal) or a DRZ400S(thoughts anyone?)

What dual sport kit or parts should I go with for the KTM?

I really want a KTM for their bikes seem to be built more for the aggressive (me). But the DRZ comes street ready right out of the crate. However the DRZ is also approx 40 pounds heavier out of the crate as well. So a KTM seems to be my best option >> It's just a matter of making it street legal.

I hear the nightmare stories from some and it's not that hard to do from others about doing a dirt only to street legal conversion so I need a little help since NY is one of the more strict states for converting dirt only bikes into a street legal machine.

Also if any of you own both a DRZ400S and KTM 400/450/525 EXC/MXC and think the DRZ is a better choice for an all around bike >> I'll be racing hare scrambles and doing alot of extreme woods riding, some jumping, and some Supermoto so I need a bike that is going to take a pounding >> I just need to make it street legal(too much construction going on where I live anymore so I need to ride too much road to get to the good trails, as well as insurance on 3 seperate purpose built bikes is outrageous in NY)

Any help would be great.

Thanks

TTKU,

There is no comparison between a new KTM and a new(?) DRZ! The KTM's are state of the art machines. The DRZ is technology that is now becoming old. The only benefit to buying a DRZ is they cost less.

Travis

You don't need a dual sport kit for a KTM. It is already wired for all of this. Go to the parts catalog figure what you need and order all of the parts yourself. The next step is to just plug them in. It's the easiest thing to do.

Morgan

You don't need a dual sport kit for a KTM. It is already wired for all of this. Go to the parts catalog figure what you need and order all of the parts yourself. The next step is to just plug them in. It's the easiest thing to do.

Morgan

Close. You'll probably need a new harness in order to use a brake light switch and turn signals. I dualsported a 525EXC using original KTM parts that are stock on European EXCs. Contact Mike at www.cyclezonektm.com. He has everything you need, and is the recognized expert in dualsporting KTMs (with respect to Trick Dual Sport et al.)

I dual sported my 525MXC and I used the UFO headlight and taillight assembly. I do not like either of them. Couple reasons... I have replaced incandescent bulbs 7 times in 3 months. The signals are too close to the taillight/headlight, making them hard to see in sunlight, there are no LEDs available for the signals and I have tried 2 different LED taillights (1157?)and they are too dim as well. I would like to switch over to the Acerbis LED taillight assembly and the Acerbis handguards with signals built in for the front signals although I can't get LEDs for the hand guards, they are further from the headlight so easier to see. The UFO headlight is an old style headlight that is not bright enough.(even after switching to a 60/60) I would like to try the headlight off of the EXC's... its the newer style lens. And rear signals I am still trying to source a decent pair using LED's as the rear of the bike sees the most vibration. Also the UFO taillight assembly is too heavy and constantly bends the rear fender down on even the mildest of jumps. I am on my second license plate as the first one got chewed out by the tire even after I made some mods to the UFO plastic.

Crap I just typed allot.

Jax.

ps. anyone know of any good LED signals?

My friend just put a Baja Designs kit on his 525EXC and it came out good.

Based on owning a DRZ400e and spending a fair amount of time on a 525exc, for just standard trail riding the DRZ is fine, but for any type of racing i would go with the KTM.

🙂🙂:D the best kits made!

I ordered from Dale. He offers some good advice and service. KTM wires the seven lighting and charging coils into a 3 and 4 split. 3 are dedicated to the battery and 4 are used for lighting. He converts the stator to a 7 coil series and 'floats' the ground. He also provides a full wave rectifier to convert all seven coils in series to DC current coming out of the stator. This means he has to supply an adapter to join the charging and lighting sides of the bike.

In addition, he uses a UFO number with signals, and provides the brake banjo bolt sensor for the rear brake. He says it will power a 55 watt bulb up front with the stator mods.

I installed micro diamond rear signals. They are real small and tuck in tight. I also went to a plastic shop and got some 1/8" ABS. It bends easy with a heat gun and makes a great mud flap/ license plate mount.

I'll post again, after I get it installed.

Dale Mazarrow is the man! 🙂 Trick Dual Sport! Awesome products and service! 🙂

I ordered from Dale. He offers some good advice and service. KTM wires the seven lighting and charging coils into a 3 and 4 split. 3 are dedicated to the battery and 4 are used for lighting. He converts the stator to a 7 coil series and 'floats' the ground. He also provides a full wave rectifier to convert all seven coils in series to DC current coming out of the stator. This means he has to supply an adapter to join the charging and lighting sides of the bike.

In addition, he uses a UFO number with signals, and provides the brake banjo bolt sensor for the rear brake. He says it will power a 55 watt bulb up front with the stator mods.

I installed micro diamond rear signals. They are real small and tuck in tight. I also went to a plastic shop and got some 1/8" ABS. It bends easy with a heat gun and makes a great mud flap/ license plate mount.

I'll post again, after I get it installed.

Trick Dual Sports is undoubtedly a good setup, but I found the stock KTM kit to be much more straitforward that you're describing. You HAVE to go aftermarket with most bikes, but it's not necessary with KTM. Check Trick Dual Sports, but a KTM guy would do himself a disservice to not strongly consider the cheap, simple, and slick stock setup.