Sign in to follow this  

05 cylinder head on an 04

Will this work? The 05 head is over a 100 bucks cheaper than the 04. Anyone have any advise. I heard there were some changes to the head but it still uses the same valves. My RMZ has been sitting in the garage for 6 months (since the cam gear turned and it blew up) so I need to get it back together. Thanks in advance for any help.

I don't know if they are the same from 04 to 05, but you might want to get a price from Kawasaki. I've been told the Suzuki parts are priced higher for some reason. Might not be true, but worth a phone call.

nope, won't work.

you need BOTH the head and the cylinder of the 05 to put it on an 04 lower end.

why? because some deadbeat changed the studs on the left side to bolts!!!

That sucks. Thanks for the info guys. Guess I'll go lick my wounds and drop the extra bucks on an 04 head. Anyone know where I can get a good deal on a new one?

try midwest action cycle online, they have ads in the back of the new dirtrider. I think a head was going for about 350.

Hi Guys!

I can talk about this because i have a 2004 rmz and i have a 2005 head on it.

I am in Hungary and bought the head from Kawasaki.

It fits fine !! They changed the angles and the exhaust ports i have compared the 2 and they are different but WORKS FINE!

I have also replaced the valve springs and the valves with stock stuff.

I have a wiseco piston in it.

One of My valve guide is cracked but they had none in stock so we left it in there...still works.

HOpe it helps!

🙂

[/img]

That sucks. Thanks for the info guys. Guess I'll go lick my wounds and drop the extra bucks on an 04 head. Anyone know where I can get a good deal on a new one?

I think WMR has some 04' heads with bronze seats and guides installed. You are better off going with the bronze seats than the stock ones. I was at their shop and they had a bunch of stock heads with bad seats in the machine shop having bronze seats put in. A lot of the stock seats were chipped at the top edge. They told me that the stock seats are hard and brittle, and if a piece breaks off it can take out a valve real quick. Also found out that the bronze seats and guides pull heat out of the valves way better than the stock steel seats. I went with the bronze seats and guides on my bike and it has been awesome.

yes it will work i have an 05 head on my 04 the only diffrence in fitting is that where the cylinder bolts on to the head you need to use nut cause the head has no thread!!! so it will work save yourself the money

The 05 head fits perfectly on the 04, bc67 is absolutly correct, the intake and exaust porting is different, as well as the dividers are longer protruding out to the ends more, I believe the 04 head provides a little better response off the bottom though, but not as much top as the 05, be sure to check the head surface for trueness before installing, had two so far that have come with possible machine problems new from suzuki, and yes there are major differences in prices between the two companies.