Yosh exhaust gains

undefined Hey fellas, I am in the midst of adding a full "zorst" system. I have considered the Yosh RS3 stainless, Big Gun EVO X, and Scorpion.

Big Gun claims up to 3.5 horses gained, with rejet.

Does anyone know the numbers of Yosh and Scorpion? I am leaning toward Yosh, since that is what I have used on my street bikes, but the thumper is a new beast for me, and I need expert opinions and experiences. What d'ya'll say? ?

Yoshimura has my vote. Mine's been on my bike for 18 months. No problems and a very nice pipe. I've dealt with the people at BigGun before regarding a CDI box and needless to say their poor customer service and lack of any action resulted in me never wanting to have anything to do with BigGun again...That's my experience...Maybe other's have had different...

If you want to go with stainless then either the yosh or a muzzy is your best bet. I personally run a muzzy and wouldn't trade it for any other pipe out there for what I do. Big gun is loud, both volume of it's pipes and it's advertising.

Hey 10guy, do you know if your Muzzy is quieter than the Yosh? Man, the RS-3 is freaking LOUD. That's why I was asking questions about the Akro. I've had them on streetbikes and they typically aren't as noise as Yosh stuff (at least on my SV and 954 which wore one each of the Yosh and Akro before I eventually parted with them).

I have the spark arrester/quiet core in mine, with both the volume is fairly loud but not objectionably so. I haven't heard the two side by side but have heard a few of the yoshi's before I bought the muzzy. I think the tone is a little lower with the muzzy so it doesn't sound as loud.

Does/did the rs3 have a tec insert or spark arrestor? I know without them the muzzy is also loud but I've never heard a muzzy as loud as some earlier yoshs.

Even with 13.5:1 compression my bike is still fairly quiet compared to others out there. That is on the trails I ride on.

At one time bronco had a pro circuit muffler on a stock headpipe....now that was LOUD.

I had an 02 E and bought a WB R Series pipe from the info gained on this pipe test.

It made very impressive power gains,much better than stock,but wow it was LOUD!!!

I actually ended up wearing ear plugs just to ride the bike.

Anybody have DB ratings for the Yosh,Muzzy,FMF pipes available for the S model???

I would really like to get an exhaust for my S but if it is as loud as the WB R then it would be way to loud for me!!

Quite honestly, I think the bike sounds pretty good with the 3x3 mod and an open end cap (like the billet ones available on eBay). As an experiment, try unbolting the end cap on your bike, then starting it up in the garage. Put the cap back in and just hold it there by hand. I think you'll find a remarkable difference in the way the bike sounds. There is a backpressure issue at play as well - my bike chuffs away at about 200 rpm less with the cap on as opposed to off.

I just ordered one of those billet end caps after drilling my stock cap. I don't want even the OEM spark arrestor (I'm a full time street rider). Losing the screen deepens the exhaust note even further than simply drilling out the stock cap, but the bike still isn't objectionably loud (this coming from a guy who just removed and sold a stainless Yosh...my neighbors hated me).

Finally, in a related comment about pipes and whatnot, burned has me talked into leaving the stock exhaust and getting an FCR39 instead. ?

Looks pretty nice, but I played hell trying to get my SM to run well with the Yosh TEC insert...and as I've suggested before, the pipe was simply too loud w/o it. Thus, I now subscribe to burned's mantra: "The best quiet pipe is the stock pipe." He's apparently dyno'd it extensively because he says on his 'info' page that the OEM exhaust makes good power.

FWIW

Yo SGT just how much is the carb swap to the FCR gonna cost???

Are the gains gonna be as much as doing an exhaust??

Like I said I previously owned an E and without the aftermarket pipe was no better than the S now(or so I remember).

The difference between the stock set-up and the aftermarket with jetting was huge so I don't know how happy I'd be with just doing the carb swap.

Not to mention that the S header is smaller too!!

Has anyone got anything good to say about FMF Q's???

They are supposedly still fairly quiet???

Yo SGT just how much is the carb swap to the FCR gonna cost???

Are the gains gonna be as much as doing an exhaust??

Like I said I previously owned an E and without the aftermarket pipe was no better than the S now(or so I remember).

I dont think you remember very well.....

Owning both an S and E model myself..... a rejetted E vs. a Dynojet + 3x3 mod S model..... The E will kill the S hands down. There is no comparison. The FCR makes a big part of that difference.

My memory is gettin worse with age but my whole point is that I was not happy with the power of my stock re-jetted E and neither was friend of mine with his.

I was very happy with the performance gains from the aftermarket exhaust.

So an S with an FCR carb will kill an S with an aftermarket exhaust???

?

My memory is gettin worse with age but my whole point is that I was not happy with the power of my stock re-jetted E and neither was friend of mine with his.

I was very happy with the performance gains from the aftermarket exhaust.

So an S with an FCR carb will kill an S with an aftermarket exhaust???

?

Abosolutely. On an S model a well tuned FCR will make more power than an aftermarket exhaust system any day. There is definitely a lot to be gained with exhaust also..... But the FCR and getting it dialed is going to make the biggest improvement. I run the following setup on my KLX400R....

0 - 3000 ft or so

162 main

5/8 PAS

JD Blue needle clip 4

38 pilot

Coast Enricher removed.

Taffy mod

My S is almost the same but I use the flow commander to replace the air jets. The bikes have never run better. My nearly stock KLX400R will do power wheelies on demand all the way through 3rd.

• 1 year later...

I've a Akrapovic Full System and just done the 3x3 and jetting mods. The bike sounds great with Akra but I've not heard it after rejetting and 3x3, I'll put some sound and vids of my bike. But sometimes akra annoys neighbours :censored: And irritates the car drivers in tunnels :ride: HEHEHEHEHE!!!

Also Burned says that akra'a design and sound is good but Yoshi's performance is better than else...

Have you thought about the Leo Vince? I have used them on a couple of bikes. It is a top quality system with some of the best fit and finish you will find. It gives excellent power gains and it is one of the quitest, often quiter than stock, yet gives a ballsy sound. A bonus is every one will comment on it 'cause it looks so good but you don't see them that often.