Sign in to follow this  

Tear off Troubles

I've got my first harescramble tommorrow and I'm pretty excited. Today I bought some tearoffs from my friend who can't race because he broke his leg. Its a scott kit which includes the tear off posts to install. I wear pro grip goggles and they won't fit on them so I have to use my backup scotts. I got the tear off retention posts snapped in but haven't yet figured out how to mount the third post. Also the tear offs don't fit tight to the lense. The kit is for type 83 87 and 89 type goggles. These goggles have C-89-2 written on the top of the frame so it should work.

The lense on my pro grips is bigger, I might be able to drill some smaller holes in the tear offs (since the pro grip posts are smaller) and wear my good goggles if worse comes to worse.

I use roll-offs when i ride/race. In races, i get any tear-offs and duct-tape 2 or three onto my goggles. You can see some tape that didnt come off while tearing off the tear-offs in this picture.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=1786

IIRC, there is an unsed post. Use the 2 that are the same size. Dunno if you have used this type of tear-off, but here's a tip I use: Put your first tear-off on backwards. That way, when you pull off all the others (with your left hand), there will still be one left that you can wipe w/o scratching your lens.

BTW, since this is late, how did it go?

The race went ok. The start got bottlenecked and I had people roosting me in the face. After I got through that I pulled off one tear off. It was amazing how fast they got gunked up so I pulled them down for the rest of the race. First lap I did good, halfway through the second lap I pulled over for some faster riders but couldn't stop in time without going off the trail a little. It was a really swampy area and I got stuck real bad. With the help of a trail sweeper I got it out but that was the end of my day. We cut off the track and took the road back. Can't wait for the next one though, I'll definately do better.