Sign in to follow this  

88cc top ends - Who has what and what do they think?

I currently am running a complete BBR 88cc top end on my 50. (we have 7 of them set up this way that we race every Wed. nite) Piston, jug, head w/bigger valves (not sure what size, but larger than the stockers), 18mm carb & intake.

I'm curious about some of the other 88cc top end kits available.

First off - please don't go saying that this or that 100, 108, 34523 cc setup is the way to go. Not for me. The rules of our track are 88cc max. We also all run STOCK pipes. So far the neighbors have been very cool about a pack of us buzzing around in the back yard and I'm not about to introduce a loud ass bike setup into the mix.

One guy has an FMF pipe with a larger diameter head pipe than the FMF I ordered - his bike is just barely louder than stock and if we can find HIS pipe, that would be allowed. The FMF I ended up with (smaller diam head pipe) has the same can as my buddies, but it's noisy as hell. Anyone have any thoughts on that? We put mine on his bike and it was louder and lost power too... (&%$#@!??)

Quiet is a must, quiet means happy neighbors, quiet means No Johnny Law knocking on the door, quiet means we can play.

So, with those two rules in place, what are your guy's opinions on the different 88cc top ends?

I have a 124cc Kitaco engine in my big 50 and it's a ripper. Very nice quality stuff too, so does anyone have an opinion on Kitaco's 88??

How about the Takegawa 88?? The old Z50 that runs here has the Takegawa setup (1985, so it's not a bolt on to the XR/CRF engine) and it seems to have more low end than the BBR and revs to the moon, but seems like it goes flat in comparison to the BBR on top.

I'd like a tad more low end out than the BBR produces, but then again, we are talking 88cc... They the make most hp when spun up to the moon.

So let's hear it. Good, bad, let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance!

i had the Takegawa 88 R-stage(race head, bigger carb), and i loved it. it pulled hard, had good bottom end and pulled really hard up top too. i have a WB R4 exhaust, small head pipe, its pretty quiet at idle but makes some noise when i get on it. maybe if you're looking for more power, instead of a different kit, how about port & polish, bigger cam, and 22 or 24mm carb.

That 18mm carb is choking you on power. Put a 20mm on it, better cam and have the head ported and polished and you should see some nice power gains.

TB 88cc with race head, cam, carb... i think it one of the greatest things man has ever made! 🙂

TB 88cc with race head, cam, carb... i think it one of the greatest things man has ever made! 🙂

Negative Batman...It's the TB108cc! 🙂:D

Negative Batman...It's the TB108cc! 🙂:D

HEY HEY HEY!!! i said it was ONE of the greatest things :D🙂

It is very good. Does wonders for comin out of corners and keep the revs up which on a 88 is key.

Jetster, is your TB manual clutch kit the two or three plate version? I bought the two plate kit last summer, never used it and just bought the three plate set up and was wondering if the two plate clutch would hold up under an 88 kit with an adult on it. It might go on my new 88 motor although other than the start the auto clutch is a hoot and much better in the woods--no stalling.

Im running a takegawa s stage and pretty impressed but havent tested it against any other 88 kits yet.

Thanks for the input. I'll probably run the two plate set-up until I wear it out and then drop in the extra plate set-up.🙂

lololol wow you guys are dumb "i have an 88cc on my 50" its not a fifty if its got 88cc. beats the whole purpose of owning a "fifty" ...key word there.

lololol wow you guys are dumb "i have an 88cc on my 50" its not a fifty if its got 88cc. beats the whole purpose of owning a "fifty" ...key word there.

:eek:

Alright smart ass...

I'm SO very glad you have pointed out the obvious.

Thank you very much for the help. :applause:

i dont care what size motor you guys have in your little bikes i can still idle past you on my 250.

i dont care what size motor you guys have in your little bikes i can still idle past you on my 250.
OH OH OH!! Mines bigger... he says (then again, he's 16... - which says more than enough)

Sheesh...

well u guys have fun wasting ur time on rebuilding ur motors and ill keep my nice stock 50cc bore and never worry about fixing it. hwen i want to go fast ill hop on my big bike.oh and ur form ohio that says enough too. wow your right im 16 but ive rebuild a lot of more motors then you when u were 16.i work on cars and dirtbikes about everyday.

well u guys have fun wasting ur time on rebuilding ur motors and ill keep my nice stock 50cc bore and never worry about fixing it. hwen i want to go fast ill hop on my big bike.oh and ur form ohio that says enough too. wow your right im 16 but ive rebuild a lot of more motors then you when u were 16.i work on cars and dirtbikes about everyday.

so that makes you right? how about just dont say anything unless it has something to do with the topic at hand?

asking about 88 kits and it has turned into a shit talking session. dont understand why people always do that. this is a site to help other people out not start fights.

like that matters to us anyways! :applause: