Sign in to follow this  

OK, Im chirpin still! Flywheel or normal clutch/tranny noise?

When I am going a little too slow for a gear (probably when I do not feather the clutch in time) I am getting this load "Chirping" sound from the clutch tranny area. Usually in turns; again, when I tend to be too slow in the corner for the gear Im in. It will let out a loud double or tripple chirp and when gassed up it stops.

I also hear it when I launch on a table top and when I land I will get this chirping again. Presumably I think I may be letting off the throttle some while airborne and when I land I am a little low in the gearing and it chirps. Quick throttle blast its gone.

It seems very coincident to my new flywheel install ( +11 oz) to help my stalling issues. Having come off a trail 230 I installed the FW because I was stalling like crazy. Fairly certain I did not get this chirping stock before the FW.

Anyone else had/heard this? Concerned I installed the FW wrong or something (though its not rocket science).

🙂

I cant believe you payed for a "fix" when its obvously rider error. I went from a crf150 to a RM250 then to a YZ450. I never had trouble with stalling and believe me, those YZFs with the 4-speed need quite a bit of feathering to go from stop to go mode. sounds like a tranny problem. Also are you sure its coming from the clutch side? when im too low in a gear and cant nail the throttle, the chain starts clattering.

I cant believe you payed for a "fix" when its obvously rider error.

Way to be supportive. Now THAT's the moral foundation on which this forum was build on... thats the way. Hope your not a teacher of some kind 🙂:D

I went from a crf150 to a RM250 then to a YZ450. I never had trouble with stalling ...

Well good for you. Did you write that while admiring yourself in a mirror and trouching up your hair? When you are done celebrating your brilliance maybe you could come down here with us peasants and and let us take a glimpse at the wonder that is you :D

Chain clatter.... good thought I hadnt considered. But Im pretty sure its not "clatter". Not that metallic. I will double check that though to be sure.

🙂

Way to be supportive. Now THAT's the moral foundation on which this forum was build on... thats the way. Hope your not a teacher of some kind 🙂:D

Well good for you. Did you write that while admiring yourself in a mirror and trouching up your hair? When you are done celebrating your brilliance maybe you could come down here with us peasants and and let us take a glimpse at the wonder that is you 🙂

Looks like someone is alittle sensitive. Whats the matter, cant handle some constructive critisism from time to time?

The chirp sound is normally associated with low rpm's and large throttle openings, coming from the airbox area, the large vacuum pulses create some pretty funny noises sometimes....maybe this is what you are hearing?

.... Whats the matter, cant handle some constructive critisism from time to time?

I missed the constructive part ...

🙂

The chirp sound is normally associated with low rpm's and large throttle openings, coming from the airbox area, the large vacuum pulses create some pretty funny noises sometimes....maybe this is what you are hearing?

That sounds like it makes sense, going too slow (low RPM) when I am co ing back hard on throttle on exit. Hmmm. I recall another chirp post. recall that chirp. When I first got my 250R I posted about this chirping sound coming from what I thought was the muffler. Many commented they had it also and that, in fact, it was the airbox issue I think you describe. Its not that though. Itc coming from down low I am pretty sure. I might swap out the FW back to stock to see if it goes away. Maybe that I am more familiar with the the new gear ratio of the R I might not need the FW anymore... Thanks for the reply.

Not sure what that ball busting was all about. You went the cheap route compared to alot of dudes who just get a rekluse-which I almost did before even buying the 250R. I'd be curious to see if the chirping stops if/when you put the stock FW back on.

My transition was succesful due to reading posts like yours and being prepared on what to expect. Oh, I still stall.... just not as much as I would have, if not in the mind-set to stay on the clutch.

Time to go riding (while it's only 100 degrees).....

Let us know what you find brother 🙂

I probably will swap out the FW just to see if a) its the cause of the chirping and 🙂 if my skills have improved .

Could not bring myself to go Rekluse, felt that was just a more expensive cheat :D

Sorry about the ball bustin - must have been edgy. His post just did not seem helpful at all. Must have rad it wrong (although I got several PMs who also thought it was non constructive).

Im all better now .... 🙂

No, no...I'm not sure why he had to bust your balls. Your response was dead on. I'm not certain I would've been that nice 🙂

I thought I heard some chirping myself when my bike was warming up. I think it may be the power of suggestion though as it went away after I laid on the throttle. I won't be able to ride again 'till around sundown- soooo friggin' hot 🙂

I was politely apologizing for my actions but in no way really meant it 🙂

The chirping you heard, and that rapture was referencing, is the one many new 250 bike owners ask about, with most thinking it is coming from the muffler (like I did). Turns out to be a known anc ommon airbox issue; normal, just annoying.

In hind sight what I am hearing could be that same thing as rapture mentioned, just way louder and pronounced. Any you know how nises go, esp when you are riding, I could just be thinking it is coming from the engine bottom. Hmmm..

Only 90 degrees here in Cincinnati today, but painfully humid.