Sign in to follow this  

How are Tear offs supposed to fit?

I couldn't get any in time for my pro grip goggles so I bought a kit for my backup scotts. They don't fit tight to the lens and I was wondering how they are supposed to look.

There will usually be two side post things that you have to slide into the front side edges of your goggles, between the lens and the plastic frame of the goggles. If you don't slide those post things all the way in until they click, then the posts will not be out at the right spacing, and your tearoffs won't be flat. Maybe that's what's happening to you now. It can be a real PITA to get those post things in all the way into the frame, and sometimes I have to take the lens out of the goggles to help me get the post things in.

The tearoff kit will also come with one more post thing, which you slide onto the left side of your goggle strap. You put the tearoffs on top of the lens by pushing them down onto the posts (lining up the holes in the tearoffs with the lens post things), and then one at a time starting with the tearoff closest to the lens, you click the left tab of the tearoff onto the post on your strap, lining the post up with the small hole in the tearoff tab that is closest to the lens part of the tearoff. There will be a bigger hole farther out the tearoff tab -- you fold the tab over and put the bigger hole over the strap post, and then click down the 2nd tearoff's small tab hole onto the strap post. Keep doing this until you get to the outermost tearoff, and that one you just click its tab down on the strap post using its smaller inner hole. This leaves the outermost tearoff tab sticking out to your left, so when you reach up and grab, that should be the only tab you get. When you pull the top tearoff off, that releases the next tearoff tab down in the stack so that now it's the one sticking out.

It takes some practice to pull at the right spot to get just that top tearoff tab, so it's good to play with it some before you start a race with them. Have fun! -Mike-