Sign in to follow this  

The $&#*#^ BOG!!!

I've been playing with this so much, I haven't had time to ride. From 0 to 1/4 throttle I have a bog. At any thing above that it flies, at least around the yard. Current settings are: #40 leak jet, #42 pilot, 180 main jet, red needle in #4 slot, AP time of .78 seconds, Zip-Ty FS 2 1/4 turns out, Power Now, Alt. ~150 ft., humid, getting hot.

Is my AP squirt still to long?

Should I Move to #3 clip position on needle?

Change back to Blue needle?

I just hate taking this bike apart for every change.

Your AP squirt looks to be just slightly long, and a 50 or 60 leak jet may be in your future. There may be a few other things to try as well.

How high is your idle set? Make sure your idle speed is set to the factory-recommended 1800-2000 rpm. This helps maintain threshold vacuum levels in the carb throat.

Also, when testing each change, make sure the bike is fully warmed up. They all bog when they are cold. Ride around normally for 10 or 15 minutes, then test before you decide on the effects of any tuning change.

In addition, don't let a bog on the stand worry you. Do your testing under load, because that's when the bog most affects you. It's NOT impossible to get the bike bog-free on the stand. It's just much more difficult to tune it that precisely. You've got a wider window to hit when you test under load.

If you need any other ideas, check the following link. Rick has done a nice job summarizing everything we've learned about the bog in this tech article.

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=104

You can also check out www.thumperfaq.com for more bog info.

Keep at it, it is do-able. My 03 WR is similarly modded, and bog free. The rest of your jetting looks spot on.

Try setting the fuel screw to 1 1/2 turns and ride the bike for a length of time to get it fully hot before testing. Set the idle slightly higher, as barton suggested. The next step would be a leaner clip position or bigger leak jet.

James

I'm going to order a #60 leak jet on Monday, Rode the bike for about an hour, and it really seems rich for the first 1/4 throttle. In the mean time I'll reset the Fuel Screw, and then change the clip position to 3 after trying the fuel screw change. I'm even thinking of dropping back in the 90 leak jet and moving the clip to 6, maybe a desperate move.

Be careful that you don't over shoot the right settings. You can't tell the difference between a rich bog and a lean bog when it comes to the AP and leak jet. If you feel rich below 1/4 throttle, then set the fuel screw like JD said and test it out. If you still feel rich, raise clip one and test it again. Raise it one and test again. If you overshoot, go back down one positon.

Once you feel like the fuel screw and clip are right, if it still bogs then try a 50 or 60 leak jet. A 90 leak jet is probably too big if your at .78 sec with a 40.

Be sure and make only one change at a time and do a good thorough test after each change. It takes some patience, but it is really worth it to get it right.

ordered a #60 leak jet, won't have it until next week. Haven't had time to make any changes or ride yet. I'll do the fuel screw move first, and then go from their. Yeah, I have to go one at a time, it's a slow process.

I don't know where I got 90 at. :applause: Sorry for the confusion.

Dont ride lower than one quarter throttle and your problems are cured without taking the bike apart.

My #60 leak jet came in Friday afternoon. Installed it, Set my fuel screw at 1 1/2 turns out. The first thing I got was a hanging idle. Checked my connections, all were tight, moved my fuel screw around, and my idle went back to normal. Set my idle at 2000 rpm's. My bog is still their, my hot start connector is stripped where it screws into the carb., and I'm not happy. I'm considering going back to the blue needle and 185 main jet, and starting all over again.

Does it affect you when you are riding the bike? Mine has a bog when idling in neutral but it does not affect me when under load riding, so I don't worry about it. I jetted mine to perform at the speeds I ride, which is usually above idle. Don't get too caught up with a bog while the bike is on a stand. If it bogging on you while riding then it does need addressing. Good luck.

I've been so tied up this week I haven't had time to check back in. I ordered 2 of the nuts/fittings for the carb on Monday, got them this afternoon. Wish I had checked back to the forum, I would have bought that Zip-ty one in a heart beat, that looks great, and would solve the problem of the cheap std. one that comes on the bike. And yeah, I have the bog in the range in which I ride. I ride mainly woods on real tight trails, so I'm in the low rpm range, and need to come up on the gas quickly to get over or around some of the areas I ride. I tried riding with the hot start nut the way it was, but the movement of the cable and leak it caused in the carb gave me the hanging idle symptoms I was talking about earlier on in this link. I plan on changing my clip position to 3 and taking it out for a ride Saturday afternoon. Damn, I wish I saw that Zip-Ty nut sooner, I'll probably still order it just to make sure this doesn't happen again.

OK, I think I might have gotten it. I switched back to the blue needle in clip position #3, FS out 2 turns, and running it around the yard, It seems pretty good. Hope to go for a real ride Saturday.