Sign in to follow this  

Valves out of adjustment.

My bike wouldn't start, so i got to checking the valves. The left intake was in spec, but the right one was horrible out of adjustment. The smallest feeler gauge i had was something like...001.5 or something? 4 smaller then what it was supose to be, and i could not even get that in. What causes is it to get way out of adjustment? How small do they make feeler gauges? The one i was trying to get in it was like...foil! Exhaust is all good.

you need to re-shim with a thinner shim to gain clearance again,

your valve is getting pounded in and worn , you will need to shim and keep an eye on it to see how quickly it moves,( you may be ready for valves ,springs, and a good top end rebuild, piston,rings hone , nice dry build, 13.5 je .

i could get into the reasons why your may have done this ,

but i wont.

but anyway , get a hot cam shim kit and swap shims until you get clearance.

and go and see how quickly it may or may not keep moving out of clearance.

Sould I jump on it TJ? 🙂

We would think less of you if you didn't. 🙂

well throttlejockey is correct in that it would help to know how many hrs you have on it,

the big problem i see with these is contamination of the cumbustion chamber ( fuel additives , two stroke mix being run )-----or the common reason is the thing did not get a good ring seat( due to a wet build and a easy brake in :applause: ) and the thing pumps oil into the top end and causes alot of engine dirt and eats the intakes valves out of it.

also overfilling the crankcase and pumping oil into the airbox and in the motor that kills it also,

these little things are very trick and need to be cared for very carefully,

and need constant maintenance and the valves need to be checked and kept in adjustment,

when you let one tighten up like that you have overheated it badly by not letting it seat in the head ( this is what cools the valve and lets it shed heat ) and generally the valves and springs and topend are in order,

but go ahead and shim it and check it every ride and see if it keeps moving,

does your bike use oil and smell funny out the exhaust ,??