Sign in to follow this  

Springs & Fatigue

I'm 215 pounds & am wondering if anyone who has changed stock springs on an 05 CRF 450 R found any difference in terms of having more stamina, & more importantly less arm pump 🙂

Stamina off the bike isn't an issue....i run the Firefighter's Combat Challenge, & do 4 miles in 30 min on a mill. The bike has a way of draining me quickly....mostly arm pump being the biggest factor 🙂

Hmm, I would imagine that you will have to change some settings. I would also imagine that they probably set them up for riders around 180 pounds.

Speaking of suspension, I probably have to adjust my suspension settings also. I bought my bike from a guy weighing about 135 pounds, it's an 03 RM125 and I weigh around 115.

If arm pump is a problem, it may be bars as well. The stock steel bars are though to contribute to the problem. I weigh 215 without gear, and I get much less arm pump with oversize bars. Do an search on "arm pump" and you should get tons of reading.

Plus if your riding includes jumps, get used to easing up on your grip while you're in the air.

Impressive 4 mile time. I wish I was in that kind of shape. Not bad enough to set this beer down though. 🙂

Yeah man, that averages to about 7 minutes and 30 seconds a mile for four miles, I think it's an excellent time.

Thanks guys....i worked hard for 1 1/2 years to attain 4 miles in 30 min. Like i said....i'm a heavy set guy. It isn't every attempt that i make that time. You know when you reach the 25-27 minute mark, & you cannot hear anything, & everything is in slow motion...YOU ARE IN THAT ZONE, & YOU'RE GONA DO IT.

Most times it is 3.75 - 4............that ,25 mind as well be 10 miles sometimes.

BTW I'm almost 38 years old :D

Anywho guys that don't do squat are mopping me up after 6 laps or so.....even less....i can hang or even better for the first few laps...but then fade or make mistakes from being tired :D

I really gota do something with the bike....most of the guys ride 250's....maybe that is what i need :D not until i try springs, & other stuff for my weight....i got high bars...they helped alot :D next is tall seat & springs 🙂

Someone please help...i'm not gettin any younger, & these young guns are hard to fend off 🙂

You should not confuse your OFF the bike fitness level with your ON the bike fitness level. If you ride MX, then you definetely need heavier springs, but I would hesitate to think that will solve your issues. There is no substitution for time on the bike.

I hear ya about the fitness level on & off da bike. Much like swimming....i can swim,,,,but can't swim a mile :applause: Although i can run like a race horse :eek:

Anyway, my endurance has increased the past few rides. I'm ridin alot 😛

I do ride MX, & i am getting new springs.....certainly can't hurt 🙂

Go to www.racetech.com and check your spring rates for your weight.

I found going to the 450f from the 250f i had new found fatigue problems. Its just such an awsome machine that bashes its rider to a pulp. You really need to manage the bike with your legs as much as possible. I also changed the bars to Pro Tapers - Wyndams as they had the least sweep. I was ninding my wrist on the outside of the bars was copping a hammering.

Im now to the point where i can do a full 20min moto and feel ok. Where as on the 250f i could do 20min and be ready to go again in another class. There is no way i can do that on a 450f.

If you want to spend money to fix the problem then you cant go past a scotts steering damper.