Sign in to follow this  

throttle return

So I'm not sure what the problem is but my throttle doesn't return properly. It's very slow returning, it doesn't snap back like it used to. I've adjusted it like it says in the manual. I can't see that the cable needs to be re-routed because it's so smooth except on the return. Any ideas? Workin out all the minor adjustments now that it's running.

Thanks 🙂

Yes, same problem here. The return cable had frayed in two. I iust replaced with a new set of cables, or you can just run it without the return cable.

If the cables look good; did you change grips lately? Did you pull of the throttle tube and make sure the tube and your bars clean? Could just be that you need to loosen the assembly and move the whole thing a 1/16" to alleviate any grip-bar end rubbing, ie.

nope, didn't change grips. Cables were working perfect before rebuild, but maybe with all the moving around of the cables and carb, ect. it started to fray. It's not real bad yet, but maybe I should order a new return cable. I can run it without? Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this?

Thanks

Lots of us did away with the return cable. So long as the spring on the carb doesn't snap, you'll be fine. If it does snap... well.. that's why you always cover the clutch.

If you did a full rebuild (forks off, etc) you likely routed the cables wrong, or perhaps you're pinching it somewhere.

I wish I would have replaced mine sooner. I rode for quite a while without the return cable and had to chop the throttle manually. I like it better now with both cables intact. My throttle response is instantaneous now. While I had it apart I cleaned the throttle tube and bar. Sprayed some silicone under it and into the ends of the cables.

Don't order a new set of cables if your return is messed up, in fact just go out right now with a pair of dykes and cut that sucker off. Then plug the end of the rubber thing by the bars with silicon 🙂

Don't order a new set of cables if your return is messed up, in fact just go out right now with a pair of dykes and cut that sucker off. Then plug the end of the rubber thing by the bars with silicon 🙂

HAHA, sweet....sounds good to me 🙂

HAHA, sweet....sounds good to me 🙂

Yeah, what 10guy said, Jason...Don't know if you lube your throttle and clutch cables but it sure works for me. I finally bought a cable lubricator and just give 'em a squirt every now and then...They can become very sticky if not serviced 🙂

Well I cut that sucker off and completly removed it... much better! not sure what the problem was though, cable looked fine. I lubed it best I could but I need a fancy cable luber.