Sign in to follow this  

Cycra ProBends NOT perfect after all

Well, I had a get off today, and bent the crap outta my ProBends (triple clamp mount) I learned that the tclamp mount may not allow the handguards to rotate, but all that does is force it to bend. Provided absolutely NO protection to my lever...bent the CRAP out of it. I feel like if I had spent half the $ for some guards that would've rotated, I would've ended up with a bent lever like I did anyway, and I wouldn't be pissed that a hundred dollar handguard failed me on it's first fall. They looked the business, but I don't think I'll be replacing them with the same thing.

Yes, BTW, I realize it may be just a fluke, and I'll likely get blasted with a bunch of "never happenned to me" replies, but can you blame me for wanting to vent? These things were supposed to be better than gold the way they're described here.

and I just bought these last week....they didn't mount easily...in fact the triple clamp holes were off a bit and I had to re-grind to make em fit....this doesn't make me feel very good.... 🙂

My DRZ had a set of cheap Polisport all plastic hand guards on it when I bought it. They will probably be useless in a get off, but they work just fine for "lane sharing" not a mark on them yet. But the mirrors on a couple of Vans and People carriers have not been so lucky. :D:D

Neil. 🙂🙂

PS their is no "lane sharing" in the UK, Just "responsible"(or not) filtering.

PPS. doe's anyone have any experience of the Woods-Blaster one's that are at the top off the forum page on occasion.

How fast were you going when you crashed? Nothing will survive a medium to high-speed crash.

I have Cycra Probends on my DRZ400S and have not been overly impressed with them. The Triple Clamp mounts really didn't mount very well, nor did the bar end mounts. Both of the screws that hold the main bark buster bar to the Triple Clamp mounts got torn out in different crashes. I had to drill holes completely through the triple clamp mounts, because the original threaded holes were completely stripped. Over all, I didn't feel they were worth the $100+ price. I recently put a set of Acerbis Rally II plastic handguards on my CRF450X. They cost $60 and mounted perfectly with no "gerry" rigging. I haven't wrecked with them yet, so I don't know how well they'll hold up, but I know I could destroy them, and buy a second set, for about the same price I paid for one set of Cycras.

Man I run the emgo aluminum guards with the molded plastic around them and they are extremely tuff. I had some get offs in colorado where the bars where pile driven into the rocks and they never even so much as moved an inch. The plastic got all chewed up but hey the levers where fine 🙂 For 40 bucks a set I am more than impressed and when these are done I will replace with the same thing. may be a cheap name brand but they are really tuff. Mounted very well too and knurled wedge that holds them in the bar end is pretty sweet too, No rubber BS 🙂

Well, if it hits a rock or the road just right nothing is gonna be bomb proof...I run Maier bars and shields and have "tried" them out a few times with only some scratches to the plastic. They are stout as hell and do a good job of protecting my levers. And, if I recall were about half the price. Moose bars are hell for stout, too. We just gotta learn not to fall down! Never gonna happen in my case 🙂🙂:D I think sometimes marketing comes into play and the maker says "let's just charge double what our competitors are charging and people will think they are twice as good"...It's the American way...they cost more so they gotta be better, right? :D:D

How fast were you going when you crashed? Nothing will survive a medium to high-speed crash.

Low speed. We had actually JUST started back up from a break on some tight single track. I hit a wet log (only about 1.5" diameter) at a 45 degree angle at down I went. I was in first gear so that oughta tell you something. I didn't hit any rocks or wood, just good old fashionned GA red clay and mud. I'll be looking into the other brands mentionned here.

I'll go down and take a pic in a little bit and post it so everyone can see where it bent. It's near the screw that holds that aluminum bar to the triple clamp mount. I'm surprised the screw didn't pop out.

I have not been impressed with cycra the copany at all, I ordered a set directly from cycra along with there shrouds(they had 2 sets left) after waiting 2 weeks I called and they said the trippleclamp mounts are on back order and are being machined as we speak, 2 more weeks I call same crap so I canceled the order and found a set locally and used MSR trippleclamp mounts instead. They have held up well for me once I got the suckers and I have been testing them :D:D:D🙂🙂

Which goes to prove my point about handguards...

Get some inexpensive plastic ones to protect your hands from branches etc.

Some of them are quite strong OR get some inexpensive metal ones for about $50. $100 for ProBends buys a hell of alot of levers....Their $8 bucks each at Ronayers.com...By my reckoning that's about 12 levers (quite a few crashes)...I'm still on my original levers 18 months later having had two major getoffs (one endo) and all I use are UFO Plastic protectors with blinkers and I've had quite a few getoffs with 'em...

Well, I had a get off today, and bent the crap outta my ProBends (triple clamp mount) I learned that the tclamp mount may not allow the handguards to rotate, but all that does is force it to bend. Provided absolutely NO protection to my lever...bent the CRAP out of it. I feel like if I had spent half the $ for some guards that would've rotated, I would've ended up with a bent lever like I did anyway, and I wouldn't be pissed that a hundred dollar handguard failed me on it's first fall. They looked the business, but I don't think I'll be replacing them with the same thing.

Yes, BTW, I realize it may be just a fluke, and I'll likely get blasted with a bunch of "never happenned to me" replies, but can you blame me for wanting to vent? These things were supposed to be better than gold the way they're described here.

I have Probends on my bike 🙂 They work great for what they are made for - protecting my hands from brush, branches and trees. I have had a couple of good get offs and have pulled the short bolts out of the bar mounts - no big deal - i dont expect them to be crash proof. The Cycra Probends have a nice big cup for my hands and levers. I will buy the again if i break or bend them in a crash 🙂 I ordered mine from the TT store got a good price but had to wait about 2 months to get them Cycra was back ordered :D

I've got some tusk handgaurds on my bike and I have taken quite a few tumbles with em (one this morning on a small rocky hillclimb!) and the gaurds are thrashed but are still doing their job. They cost about $25 from rocky mountain I believe. 🙂 They are a pretty tight fit, my levers barely touch, but it fits.

I also have the Tusk guards ($50 with the pretty plastic covers) and they are holding up nicely. Were kind of a pain to install, had to do a bit of tweaking to get them lined up the way I wanted them but no different than any other guards I've put on. I have three sets of these guards on different bikes, I like them!

I also have the Tusk Guards - They are pretty beefy, but I haven't crashed yet...

Install is not easy - my aluminum bars were slightly to small (1/16") on the inside diameter, so I had to buy a 9/16 Drill bit and drill out the inside of the bar about 2 1/2" to get the bar end clamps to secure to the bars..

Most important thing is installing them hanging straight down, and rotating them upwards into place once the bolts are snug..

Hope that helps someone - $50 is a good deal, and S9 Reducer takes the vinyl "TUSK" lettering off easy..

you guys must have the big bar clamps(tusk guys). I had the 7/8ths and snaped the adjustable clamp part in the first crash. Bad design imo. Made steel ones and they are so much stronger than anything else (2 acerbis PRGs) I have used.

got the tusks too and snapped the inner adjustable mounts as well... kinda thin in that adjustable slot area. otherwise I've been happy with them

I have not been impressed with cycra the copany at all, I ordered a set directly from cycra along with there shrouds(they had 2 sets left) after waiting 2 weeks I called and they said the trippleclamp mounts are on back order and are being machined as we speak, 2 more weeks I call same crap so I canceled the order and found a set locally and used MSR trippleclamp mounts instead. They have held up well for me once I got the suckers and I have been testing them 😛😛😛:eek:🙂

I personaly witnessed the testing ! 😛:applause:

I use the EMGO all plastic handgaurds. They protect my hands well, and provide reasonable cushion for lay downs and get offs. But as pointed out...it does not matter how tough the hand gaurds are...if the wreck is serious enough they will not protect your levers. I carry a spare set of levers just in case. Only way I am screwed is if I manage to break a perch. But I have never needed my spares at any rate.

The upside...I paid $35 for them...(paid extra to get the faux carbon fiber look).