Sign in to follow this  

new boots

HEy all,

Finally got some Answer motorcycle boots. I took it on a little ride around the block and it for sure felt weird. CAn anyone give me some advice on how i should be shifting with the foot and where the fot should rest when not actively shifting---and the same for the brake. It just felt like I have to move my feet around when i want to shift and I find it really tough to shift up (From 1st to second and so on) The rotation just feels weord, THanx

Its just because the boots are new. When I first rode with mine I thought I would never be able to shift and brake comfortably with them on. After a ride or two it should be fine. Wear them around the house if you want to break them in faster.

Alpinestar Tech4 boots are more flexable and are better in my opinion for most off road riders. I tend to like a more flexable boot. I like to ride with my ball of my foot on the peg to prevent my toes from striking something.

Cher'o,

Dwight

I'm with Dwight here I love the a star tech 4's even better than tech 6&8 great flexibility and good protection

Bryce

I also have the Tech 4's and am really happy with them. Didn't take very long to get used to, and they are pretty comfortable now that they're broken in.

I also ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs... so I have to do a bit of moving to shift anyway.

I just took out some new boots yesterday for a first ride, Gaerne SG1's. This too is my first time with actual moto boots. It was tough to get used to the feel. I found myself accidentally kicking to another gear or bumping the rear brake. I think it will just take time to get used to, I dont think you can truly have the same feedback from moto boots that you will from just good ol' work boots. But, on the same token, you do have far better prtoection.

first things first. if people are used to riding around in work boots or other shoes, then find they have trouble shifting, it could be because there isn't enough room to get the larger moto boot in between the shifter and the foot peg. i wear a size 14 boot and just recently bought Gaerne SG10's and even from moto boot to moto boot i had to adjust my shift lever up one click. i already have a replacement long shifter. the placement of these controls varies from rider to rider.

also, whether one stands on the balls of his feet or the middle of his sole (just in front of the heel, where most boot makers equip their boots with a chunk of sole that can be replaced) depends a lot on the rider and what he is doing at the moment. sometimes you need to lock in your foot buy feeling that heel against the back of the footpeg, sometimes you need to use your legs for all the suspension you can get out of them, and the balls of your feet are where it's at. if you search this topic you'll find as many answers as there are riders. i find i ride most of the time on the balls of my feet. i watched RC at redbud (and by NO MEANS do i intend to suggest that the bulk of us have the skills to try and mimic a pro MXer) and he had his heels locked against the back of those footpegs as he rocketed over the whoops.

as for Oxtars, i've never ridden them, but i got a really good look at them this weekend. they seem like they are a great boot. they have that weird flex/lock plastic skeleton. definitely worth a try if you are interested. when buying boots over the internet (i got my SG10's from TT as well as the GF's Tech 6's-- great service and good prices) you must be prepared to send them back if they don't fit. wearing them around the house when you first get them will (aside from making you walk funny) allow you to feel for any hotspots or crowding/cramping. if it's bad while you're sitting there on the computer, it'll be much worse on the bike. otherwise, you can spend a little more money and buy them at the store, trying them on.

PS, i noticed that the Tech 6's have increased the size of the replacement area to include the balls of one's feet. the SG10's have an different colour replacement chunk under the middle of the sole and another up near the balls of the feet. honestly, though, once that section of sole is worn out on my boots enough to warrant replacement-- it's time for new boots. the uppers are generally shot and whippy and a buckle repair or two has taken place.

just my two cents.

I purchased a pair of Oxtar Blast boots about a week ago. A bit stiff still, but fairly comfortable. I had to adjust my shift lever up a bit and that made a big difference. Overall, I'd say I am happy so far...

I just bought the FOX forma pro's a few months ago and WHOAAAA, super comfy, huge protection. They are obviously bigger than work boots wich is what I had before, After a shift lever adjust they fit great under the shifter it took about two rides to get used too. Once you ride again with tennis shoes (like putting around the block) it'll feel weird shifting in those. You'll feel like you have too much room under the shifter.

even to this day, I find it hard to find neutral because its hard to feel thrue the boots.

bottom line, adjust your shifter a click and you'll get used to your boots. :applause: