Sign in to follow this  

any info about the dual ignition on '01 wr250

I'm picking up my first scooter EVER next friday in Boise. It has a bar mounted toggle the mechanic says changes fuel flow, timing, but to what end? 🙂

Is it an aftermarket ignition. This would have something that says Map 1 and Map 2 on it. He should be able to tell you what the different settings should give you.

It is an aftermarket that changes the timing and fuel rate. I want to know when to use and what changes it makes to the bikes overall performance such as fuel economy and power. I plan to do about 99% trail riding around Idaho and want to know if it is kinda unecessary for just a trail bike that might never see track time.

Could be a toggle for the grey wire if it's the stock ignition.

If so, connected, it'll retard spark significantly above 6000 rpm.

To what end? I have no clue why this was done 🙂

Most WR owners disconnect the grey wire and leave it off, which duplicates YZ timing, and is how most non-US wr's ship from the factory (not sure about Oz and current Canadian models).

i would REALLY like to know how a gravity feed float controlled needle & seat in the carb can be changed by ANY switch on the handlebars. 🙂🙂

Maybe it controls a solenoid that pinches the fuel line? :D

The mechanic says that the fuel and spark are computer controlled. But as soon as I pick up the bike, hopefully Friday the fifteenth of July, I can have a better look at it and post some more characteristics of the system. The bike is in the shop due to oil in the cylinder, he thinks it may be valve guide seals leaking. Is this common? All I've read about Yamaha valves point to long life and durability.

The mechanic says that the fuel and spark are computer controlled.

Find a different mechanic 🙂

The fuel is controlled by air flowing through the carb venturi and by the jet needle. The position of the jet needle is controlled by the throttle position.

The only electronic item on the carb is the TPS, and that only tells the computer what the throttle position is so it can adjust the timing accordingly.

That's it. The computer controls timing and nothing more.

Like I said... if it's a stock ignition, it's probably a toggle switch on the grey wire, and if so, you don't need it.

If it's an aftermarket ignition, you probably won't need it.

I could never figure out why anyone would want to intentionally de-tune a high-performance offroad engine.