Sign in to follow this  

19" to 18" Conversion Question

After getting a pinch flat on my second ride, I've decided to switch to an 18" rear wheel. Is re-lacing my stock hub with new rim/spokes the cheapest route? 🙂

Yeah it is but why don't you try a really heavy duty tube first. I can't remember what brand mine is but it is like 5mm thick and I haven't had a flat yet. Also maybe try raising your tyre pressure, I run 14-16 psi both ends.

Yeah it is but why don't you try a really heavy duty tube first. I can't remember what brand mine is but it is like 5mm thick and I haven't had a flat yet. Also maybe try raising your tyre pressure, I run 14-16 psi both ends.
I just put in a Moose heavy duty tube, i'll run it at 12 psi in an attempt to make it last longer than the stock one. I ride on mud covered rocks and roots all the time, so I need to run 8psi for traction purposes, no way I can run the 19" that low. 🙂

is this on your 125? I would just find an 18" rim somewhere. They arent hard to come by. Relacing your rim would be time consuming at the very least but you would probably spend $200-300 if i had to take a quick guess. If you can find a used rim off an old mx bike before they went to 19's , say like an 87 yz250 or something. or from a newer enduro youd probably spend $50-100 if you keep an eye out. depends on what you want and how much you want to pay.

is this on your 125? I would just find an 18" rim somewhere. They arent hard to come by. Relacing your rim would be time consuming at the very least but you would probably spend $200-300 if i had to take a quick guess. If you can find a used rim off an old mx bike before they went to 19's , say like an 87 yz250 or something. or from a newer enduro youd probably spend $50-100 if you keep an eye out. depends on what you want and how much you want to pay.
Yes, this is for my 125. I'm probably going to buy a new rim and spokes, then lace it up myself. I did it once before, it was pretty true when I finished, so I'll probably try it again. I think my only other option is to find someone with a WR that wants to trade, but I doubt that will ever happen!