Sign in to follow this  

Sunk my KLX

With all the water in Florida this summer, I knew it would happen sooner or later. I added the T's in my carb lines so I would not stall in shallow water, and that worked great. We'll today, I was going through a trail with water and the hole turned out to be deeper than my bike. Just the handlebars sticking out of the water. 🙂 Now... what I really need to know.

I killed the engine when I knew I was going down quick. I brought it home after my son and two nephews helped me drag it out. I drained the oil and as I expected, the crankcase was full of water. I also drained the carb bowl... same thing. I replaced the oil with some cheap auto oil and ran it 2 minutes (suprisedly, it only took about 15 kicks to start).. I drained that oil and it was milky. I did that three times until the oil ran clear... then I added my regular riding oil and ran (idling) it 10 minutes. The oil looks good in the site glass.

Is there anything else I should do or could do, or was this adequate? I want to be sure I've flushed it well before I do any hard riding. Any advice would be helpful.

You could spray all the electrical connectors with lots of WD-40. Also, if you have never pulled the uni-trak apart and greased the whole thing (with good waterproof bearing grease, not the crap that Kawi uses during assembly) that would be good.

Best thing you can do is ride it a lot, get it nice and hot (but dry).

Devon

I agree with BFG. Ride the bike and get it nice and hot. My son tried to use his KLX 110 as a submarine but didn't work very well. Changed the oil 3 times, even drained the gas tank. My friend said ride the thing...any left over water will evap. We took it out on a nice dry trail.

When you're cleaning out the electrical connections, get some di-electric grease and put a dab on one of the connectors, work it a bit, and stick it back together.

Got everything cleaned out well. Seems to run fine. The oil looks clear in the sight glass, but I can see a little white residue on the glass and a little on the edges of the oil as I look through the glass. I'm assuming this is moisture that will eventually cook out.

You didn't mention anything about the air box and filter. Did you clean those out also?

I've heard of people using diesel fuel or kerosene to clean the crank case out. I don't know if that will also wash any remaining moisture but may be worth a try.

Got everything cleaned out well. Seems to run fine. The oil looks clear in the sight glass, but I can see a little white residue on the glass and a little on the edges of the oil as I look through the glass. I'm assuming this is moisture that will eventually cook out.
You're probably right, but I'd drain the oil one more time, change the filter(s), and then yank the clutch and ignition covers off to inspect and wipe 'em out.

I had this happen on my big Katoom and couldn't get the moisture out of the sight glass and all the milkiness from the oil until I had changed the oil 6 or 7 times, the filters and screens 3 times, and pull the side covers to wipe down as much as possible.

I'll echo the the other comments, except that for electrical contacts you're better off using electrical contact cleaner instead of WD40. I noticed someone mentioned the uni-track, which I think is Kawi's swingarm, but you'll also want to relube other bearings, such as the steering head. This bath was probably business as usual for your wheel bearings, but if the bike sat in water for awhile then those could probably be changed too.

Thanks for the info. I did clean out the airbox and filter. I actually had a lot of sand in it. I imagine it was mud that fell into the airbox off the bottom of the seat. I removed the whole thing to clean thoroughly.