Sign in to follow this  

KLX300 kick lever locks up

I'm able to get TDC and when I start to give it a good kick the kick lever locks up at the top and won't budge. It's like it hits a wall. This happens the first couple of attempts. I slowly kick through a couple of times then I can kick it and start it. Seems to happen even after it's ran for awhile. What gives? It's an 03 with 500 miles on it.

Maybe the ACR unit is sticking and not doing its job. The small return spring on the ACR may have come off.

If it's locked up, how are you kicking it through?

Ride on

Brewster

Yep! That is what mine used to do! Had to rock the bike in gear or just slowly kick it through until it lost some compression...After the ACR mod it has never happened again! 🙂

Well, the '03 doesn't need the ACR mod. It has it already, so my guess is that Brewster is right. Something is whacky with the ACR - most likely the spring. My buddy can start his 03 consistantly by hand, so something is definately wrong.

If it's locked up, how are you kicking it through?

It locks up when I start to kick it hard. If I ease up I can push it through, but not hard enough to start it. After a couple of attempts, something releases and I can give it a normal kick and start it.

Mine sorta does that on the occasion. The kickstarter will move an inch and then just lock up. I just let the kickstart return to the top and it free's itself up, and usually starts on that kick too.

Mine sorta does that on the occasion. The kickstarter will move an inch and then just lock up. I just let the kickstart return to the top and it free's itself up, and usually starts on that kick too.

What year is your KLX?

For the time it takes to pull the clutch, I would check on the idler gear health and it's bushing 'freeplay' if the ACR checks out okay. No sense cracking your cases open like an easter egg if you don't have to.