Sign in to follow this  

road tires

I am new here, this is my first post, but I was wondering, I want some nice street tires for my 2004 DR-Z400, does anyone have any thoughts as to what I should get? I want to keep my stock rims, but I wasn't sure as to what to get for them. Any info would be awsome. Thanks.

Dave

I am new here, this is my first post, but I was wondering, I want some nice street tires for my 2004 DR-Z400, does anyone have any thoughts as to what I should get? I want to keep my stock rims, but I wasn't sure as to what to get for them. Any info would be awsome. Thanks.

Dave

Welcome to the Best DRZ forum ever.

For 100 % road tyres, Bridgestone BT45's would be good.

For other ideas try the "search this forum" button.

Neil.

🙂

For a pure street tire I'll second the BT45, they just started making the 90/90-21 front size this year. Most of the other street 21's are for cruisers. For a mostly street tire I had good luck with the IRC GP110's on my KLR250. Avon Gripsters have a good rep with the high-mileage adverture touring crowd.

Highly recommend the Avon Gripsters. A good street tire (tyre) and OK for dirt road use.

Main thing is to watch is the outside diameter of your tires or you'll end up with bikes squatted in one direction or another.

The avon AM 41 Front , is worth taking a look at, the 90/90/21 is 3.7 wide and 27.6 tall Perfect and it's a sport type tread compound. That will be my next front if I ever buy one again for DRZ.

The rear,

there's a host of tires, but I'd get a 26.5 diameter tire atleast

I ran the maxxis 6103, it's good for about 5,000 miles and a very soft sportbike compound, maybe too soft I experienced some tube wear with that tire

Presently running GT501, much stouter harder sport bike tread and compound, but a very smooth tire, dislike it looks kind a skinny. I have abour 1000 miles on it, by the look so far It should go longer than 5,000 miles. I've heard some streeters getting 8 to 10,000 miles out of them

I may try the BT' on the rear next, but hoping the GT gets atleast 7 or 8,000 miles. If I could get the GT in a 130 and 26.5 diameter, I'd stick with it, but not available.

Thanks for the info everyone, this is the sight I was told to get into when I asked around. I should be on here all the time now...lol.