Sign in to follow this  

Crap I'm leaking

Dusted off the cobwebs from not riding for 6 months and I seem to be leaking out Coolent when it gets hot but I cant tell where. It isnt out a hose, little drips under the pump but doesnt seem like enough to explain it and now it seems better after running for 15 minutes. I've never done any of the pump mods, It is hard to tell where this is comming from.

I also am seeing some oil residue/leak which looks like it might have come out the breather pipe at the back of the cycl that has a rubber hose attached and the hose goes to the collection box, the pipe is comming out, I push it in and it comes out again, Any ideas??? I was supposed to ride in the morning 🙂

DRZ450 Many mods, was running great but has been sitting for 3~4 months

You are still in fine shape to ride. First for the piece that seems to be coming out of your cylinder,,,,go get some High Temperature Sleeve Retainer by permatex. It is the green stuff. Clean the "pipe" and apply, stick it back in the cylinder and let dry. You will be good to go there.

Now the leak is the dreaded water pump leak, trust me on this one. Most likely it is going to be so slow that you will be able to ride all day tomorrow without worry. I'd take a small bottle of water if you don't carry a camelbak just to be safe though. Next week when you can let your bike sit for a day, then you can do the rtv repair.

Jsuhr.... theres a guy we havent seen in a while.....

As for your breathing tube issue use a bunch of JB weld or epoxy to secure the breather tube in the back of the cylinder. The Team Suzuki Yosh engine I bought off Dr.Billz was epoxied in. Probably for the same issue. Seems to hold it fine....

As for the coolant make sure and check the level. 15 minutes and it seems to be OK may be because it lost a bunch to the point it doesnt have enough to loose more. Do you have a catch tank installed still? If it sits for a long time or your going slow it will boil over and out of the radiator for sure.

The RTV mod to fix a leak at the pump is real simple. Pop the cover off and do it. Not too time consuming.

If you epoxy it in then MT will not like it if you ever have to replate it.

Nate - not only that but that tube was also safety wired on 🙂

Jsuhr.... theres a guy we havent seen in a while.....

As for your breathing tube issue use a bunch of JB weld or epoxy to secure the breather tube in the back of the cylinder. The Team Suzuki Yosh engine I bought off Dr.Billz was epoxied in. Probably for the same issue. Seems to hold it fine....

As for the coolant make sure and check the level. 15 minutes and it seems to be OK may be because it lost a bunch to the point it doesnt have enough to loose more. Do you have a catch tank installed still? If it sits for a long time or your going slow it will boil over and out of the radiator for sure.

The RTV mod to fix a leak at the pump is real simple. Pop the cover off and do it. Not too time consuming.

I think you are right my coolant is low, I fired it up after charging the battery and wailed in the wooods for 5 minutes, when I came back it was dripping pretty good, I definatley saw fluid under the pump and who knows I might have run out. I'm sure having it sit for 6 months just agrivated the problem

I think I will wait and do the fix, I really hate being stranded, I'm too old to push the thing.

JB Weld? This cyclinder is the swap from MT for my 450, That pipe wont stay in is JB weld that bad? I should use something else maybe?

I'm really hoping that is where the oil was comming from.

Sorry I havent been around, I got the bike all dialed in an life took over.

I also got a ZZR1200 but I'm feeling too nervous about riding with cages even after 30 years of riding I think I'm pushing my luck, I'll probably be selling that and gettng a sports car instead, yup I'm at the age, 50 next year

🙂

PS I'm probably going to keep the Z for a while but the family bikes are for sale if anyone is interested, they are all very un used

The 230 was used 3 times

OT:

I saw your feature in the new Grizzly wood working / guitar catalog. pretty cool!

OT:

I saw your feature in the new Grizzly wood working / guitar catalog. pretty cool!

Yup except the owner airbrushed me with photoshop or something

He gave me a hair line put rouge on my cheeks and took out my gray hair!

He is Indian, I wound up looking like him 🙂

I'm not sure how it could be removed if you jbwelded it. I do know that when mt works on them they do take them out, if they can't get it out not sure what they would do then. I do know that the proper stuff for the job is sleeve retainer though so that is what I used. It doesn't cost much if any more than jbweld so why not use it. 🙂

I'm not sure how it could be removed if you jbwelded it. I do know that when mt works on them they do take them out, if they can't get it out not sure what they would do then. I do know that the proper stuff for the job is sleeve retainer though so that is what I used. It doesn't cost much if any more than jbweld so why not use it. 🙂

Great thanks I'll look for it and order the damm gasket.

I'd take it to my shop but they kind of had some screw ups on the ZZR, I better do it myself 🙂

the green loctite stuff sounds good, would be good to know why the sleeve shop has to remove it though creating an issue to deal with.

Not positive that they have to, just know that they do.

the green loctite stuff sounds good, would be good to know why the sleeve shop has to remove it though creating an issue to deal with.

It will have to do with the plating chemicals, and not wanting, or being able to put two dissimilar metals in their tank.

Neil.

Didn't think it would, I believe it may be in the way of their machining. If not maybe they just removed the ones I've seen because they were loose.

Still, why not use the proper stuff?

Fair enough.....

Well MT did his cylinder so whatever they did didn't last. I agree though use the proper stuff for the job....

Anyways JB weld like other epoxies can be removed fairly easily. Just takes some heat (150 C or higher) and it will weaken and chunk away with less effort.

Fair enough.....

Well MT did his cylinder so whatever they did didn't last. I agree though use the proper stuff for the job....

Anyways JB weld like other epoxies can be removed fairly easily. Just takes some heat (150 C or higher) and it will weaken and chunk away with less effort.

MT doesn't do anything with them, they just stick it in a bag and ship it back with the cylinder/piston etc. You get to install them.