Sign in to follow this  

5w50 or 15w50

Whats the difference between 5w50 and 15w50? Mobil 1 is only available in 5w50 here. Is there any reason why I shouldn't use it in the engine side?

Whats the difference between 5w50 and 15w50? Mobil 1 is only available in 5w50 here. Is there any reason why I shouldn't use it in the engine side?

5w50 will be thinner at startup then 15w50 but they're the same after they're warm (hence both second numbers are 50) the w in the middle stands for winterized meaning when the oil is cold, it will flow like a 5w oil would, this is good to get the flow going to parts but doesn't have high film strength because of the low viscosity. it won't make much difference to run either oil unless you live in a really cold place, in which i would run the 5w50. as for why you shouldn't run it in the engine side (im assuming you have a different top end and bottem end oil), i dont see why you wouldn't, it's not a tranny oil, so you should be fine

You could also run "Morey's oil stabliser" at 10%. It's a Kiwi product. It will keep the oil on the parts where it is needed. I run it in both of my bikes with Penrite HPR 10w50 oil (semi syn). Check on what specs your bike manufactuer recommends.