Sign in to follow this  

5w50 or 15w50

Whats the difference between 5w50 and 15w50? It doesn't look like I can get Mobil 1 15w50 here. Is there any reason why you guys use 15w50 over 5w50?

I'm not to concerned with the tranny, just the engine side.

Because over here 15w50 seems to be more readialy available...?

You can use the 5w50 just fine, once at operating temp they both "act" like a 50w oil...many people use and have used (me included) shell rotella-t 5w40 with no issues. 🙂

I'm with Rap on this one. I use the Rotella 15w-40. From what I've read and experienced, it's the best for your money.

Yep, for a non-synthetic oil the shell rotella-t 15w40 is an incredible oil. I have had phenomenal results with in especially with the clutch. At about 50 hours on the stock plates and basket, still going good too! All I had to replace is springs so far...

therapture, are you using the Rotella in the enginer and trans side? I'd be thrilled if that works well, I run Rotella 15/40 in my truck and always have gallons of it around. So far I've been using all Honda Chemicals, but they're spendy.

therapture, are you using the Rotella in the enginer and trans side? I'd be thrilled if that works well, I run Rotella 15/40 in my truck and always have gallons of it around. So far I've been using all Honda Chemicals, but they're spendy.

Yep, good old Rotella-T 15w40 "diesel oil" :applause: Both sides. No oil burning, no clutch problems.