Sign in to follow this  

helicoil

i stripped out my oilcheck bolt on my yz125 and my friend did the same thing.. he just had the deal put a helicoil in the hole. but i want to learn how to do it myself to save time and money. so could anybody tell me how to install these little critters.

also anything i should look for when removing the right side tranny cover. 🙂 or just undo the bolts and pull the cover off

thanks 🙂

What you should do is get these little sockets, i forget what they are called but they cut into the bolt so you can get them out. It would be much less hassle. Remember next time not to tighten the bolt that much next time once you get it out. When you remove the clutch cover just make sure its a clean environment and all the oil is drained, dont get any dirt in there at all. Why are you going into the clutch side anyways?

You may want to check into another type of thread repair called Keensert. Work on the same idea as Helicoils, but are more of a permanent fix. Helicoils can sometimes back out with the bolt. Keenserts have two to four pins, that you dive into the surrounding metal and will not back out. Here is what they look like:

http://www.ondrives.com/products.asp?recnumber=437

They do cost a bit more. But they are worth the little extra they cost.

You don't have to go into the clutch. What he is talking about is the screw you remove to check the oil level, it's on the outside of the clutch cover.

If nothing else you could drill and tap the hole to the next size up. I believe it is now a 6mm you could go to a 8mm. I have installed a standard size bolt before, 5/16.

Yea, Thats what I would do, I would drill the hole to the right tap drill size for a a 8mm tap to rethread the hole, make sure you pay attention to thread pictch,make sure you get the right bolt, they have to match. My suggestion is, since what you will be tapping is relatively thin, go with a fine thread pitch. Helicoils work, and so do thoose keencoils, but if you have access to decent tools, then this should work fine. Take you time when tapping, make sure you use tapping oil, or some type of lubricant, tap a little, back it out, tap a little more, back it out, you have to clear the metal chips, or you could break the tap, although with the tap as big as it is, you shouldn't have a problem.

ive drilled and taped 2 holes before, and done everything perfectly. and the next time i tighten them up they strip again.. it seems that after retapping something it just gets weaker. 🙂

he said he just has to undo the bolts and pull the cover off, it sounded like he was gonna go into the clutch.

Ok i completely missed everything here. Just realized it. Ignore anything i've said.

Stripped drain bolts etc are the result of not using a torque wrench. Basically, when tightening into AL, folks tend to over do it. A heli-coil comes in a kit. You will need to know what size the bolt hole you are repairing is, ie. 12X1.5 etc. The kit will come with the correct sized drill, the special heli-coil tap, the coils themselves (usually 5-10 per kit) and the special install tool. Drill it out, run the tap in, install the coils. The coils will be wound up when installed. They will automaticlaly try to expand which is what holds them in place. Once youe kit is all out of coils, you can buy replacement coils for your kit.