Water Pump Failure???

Out for a trail ride yesterday and on the way back to the truck I started to hear excess noise coming from the motor. Initially sounded like valve train but couldn't be sure. Continued on until I got back to the truck short shifting along the way. Fortunately I was only about 3/4 of a mile from the truck. When I arrived at the truck the noise was substantially louder and I isolated it to the right side of the engine and I am confident that the water pump has / is failing.

Who has had this happen to them?

How difficult is the replacement?

What parts do I need to order?

Cost?

Thanks for the help.

This is an 01 WR250F with an almost new Eric Gorr 262 kit. The motor was completely rebuilt in April / May of this year by Mr. Gorr at Forward Motion. Not sure why we didn't replace it at the time.... guess if it's not broke don't fix it.

Help.

If the water pump bearing is bad enough to be that noisy (it's not very big), it should be bad enough to cause a leak through escape port at the bottom of the right engine cover. Two other possibilities are a loosened nut on the primary drive gear (reasonably common) or clutch boss, or a failed balance shaft bearing (not common).

The water pump is serviced by removing the right engine cover. You can check out the rest of the stuff when you get in there.

I think it is the water pump bearing. It is an aweful grinding noise that increases with rpm. No leaking of water at this point. Seal is intact but I believe the bearing has failed.

Are there aftermarket pumps or is it best to replace with OEM?

Any idea of cost?

Thanks for the help.