Sign in to follow this  

Dirty Little Carb

I do the rejetting, 3x3 and so on. Bike runs OK, but still rev to high heaven when cold and choke is used. (mind you, the bike is new 05 and is an S).

While breaking it in, it starts sputtering for about 10 minutes. Then runs OK. Home, I take carb aprt, and find a tiny piece of brass shaving in bottom of bowl. I think, if came from the planet, Dynojet and temporarily clogged the main jet and finally passed though.

Bike sits for about one month, and during that period, I installed a new IMS tank.

Yesterday, the bike would run at high revs on the choke only. even warm, it would not run unless throttle was wide open, and even then, it would surge big time.

Take carb apart and find all kinds of very fine griddy material in float bowl, almost like very fine red sand !. Again, clean the carb, flush the jets, and decide to check the pilot......I unscrew it from tha carb bottom to find a fairly large black piece of something which completely clogged the pilot. The rest of the pilot was partially clogged with fine dust. I did not see any real varnish anywhere.

Start the bike, and she runs like a swiss clock.

Here is my opinion of what happened. I installed the IMS tank without rinsing it with gas first. I guess, from the factory, those gas tanks are full of fine dust and other little thingies which make their way into your carb. The larger black piece on the pilot probably made its way when I reconnected the petcock from stock tank to IMS tank.

So I would recommend, one should rinse a new tank (IMS or Clarke) before installing it and filling it with gas.

Just my $0.02 worth. 🙂

IMS instructions tell you to cean the tank. They are always full of crap.

I do the rejetting, 3x3 and so on. Bike runs OK, but still rev to high heaven when cold and choke is used. (mind you, the bike is new 05 and is an S).

While breaking it in, it starts sputtering for about 10 minutes. Then runs OK. Home, I take carb aprt, and find a tiny piece of brass shaving in bottom of bowl. I think, if came from the planet, Dynojet and temporarily clogged the main jet and finally passed though.

Bike sits for about one month, and during that period, I installed a new IMS tank.

Yesterday, the bike would run at high revs on the choke only. even warm, it would not run unless throttle was wide open, and even then, it would surge big time.

Take carb apart and find all kinds of very fine griddy material in float bowl, almost like very fine red sand !. Again, clean the carb, flush the jets, and decide to check the pilot......I unscrew it from tha carb bottom to find a fairly large black piece of something which completely clogged the pilot. The rest of the pilot was partially clogged with fine dust. I did not see any real varnish anywhere.

Start the bike, and she runs like a swiss clock.

Here is my opinion of what happened. I installed the IMS tank without rinsing it with gas first. I guess, from the factory, those gas tanks are full of fine dust and other little thingies which make their way into your carb. The larger black piece on the pilot probably made its way when I reconnected the petcock from stock tank to IMS tank.

So I would recommend, one should rinse a new tank (IMS or Clarke) before installing it and filling it with gas.

Just my $0.02 worth. 🙂

Yup, any aftermarket tank comes pretty dirty on the inside from the maker. I learned this the hard way, too... 🙂:D

Yeah, they use a release agent for the injection molds.