Sign in to follow this  

Where's some good riding in New Mexico?

I am going to new mexico with my gf for a week July 27-aug4-5. Where are some good trails or tracks? 🙂 anybody wanna hook up!? 🙂 Thanks. pm me if anybody wants to see me crash a lot :D:D

There's a great place near Tous. (sp?) Lots of great trails...you can ride there and not hit the same dirt twice all day.

The Jemez Mountains are not too far from Albuquerque, and there are some nice trails to ride. 376 is a nice wide dirt road to take that'll pass through Gilman Tunnels and there are some smaller offshoot roads and trails to take if you're feeling adventurous. Towards the end of 376 (after it crosses NM 126, if you're taking the road basically west to east, if I remember correctly) are the San Antonio Hotsprings...nice place to soak after a long ride. Beware of naked hippies though. Heh Heh JP

the best albuquerque riding area is at the westmost end of 'southern' road in rio rancho. you could probably find someone there to ride with on the weekend... don't go alone you will get lost.

Farmington is 165 miles North of Albuquerque anywhere north of town there is riding and Glade run trail system has trails marked from A-Z which is an area of approx 20 miles by 20 miles Colorado is 30 miles away Mancos Colorado is aprox 1.5 hours north there is a little known trail called Aspen loop which is completely in the mountains and it is 40 miles long very scenic and fine for 4 wheelers or bikes under 50 inches wide.There is also single track trail in both locations

go to Alamogordo, go north through town, turn right and go up into the mountains to the town of Cloudcroft.Cute little old fashioned tourist town. And access to some terrific riding. And go to this website

http://www.artesianews.com/Lincoln/lincoln.htm

This is a website done by Walt Green. He owns the Artesia News and is an avid dirtbiker. He lists all the riding trail in the Lincoln National Forest, Sacremento district. This is the best mapped and only signed area in New Mexico. You can click on each trail listed and it gives a description of the trail, difficulty, length etc.

The trail names and numbers accurately match the Forest Service map and there is good signage on the ground. It is the only place in the state that is really mapped and signed. You can pick up a map at the ranger station in Cloudcroft and they usually have Walt's list of trails as a handout too.

Most of the trails have been blown out to ATV width but it is still great riding. The Rim Trail is the longest, 28 miles, and alot of it is still single track because it is on side hills. The Rim Trail runs along the edge of the mountains and has great views into the valley below, overlooking White Sands.

If you are going further north, like to the Santa Fe-Taos area we have high desert and woods riding.

Bluebird

southern blvd in rio ranch is one of the best, and alwasy plenty of people there to ride with. also just east of town off I-40 is a place called "cedro" its full on woods riding and lots of fun. take I-40 east to hwy. 14 south. proceed approximately 1 1/2 miles and turn off into a dirt parking area. (slow down at 1 1/2" miles because some trees block the entrance a bit and you could miss it).

Also there is always montessa park which is right by the airport. Its big and kinda fun but if you go on the weekends theres a ton of idiots out there on atv's. I suggest southern blvd. though as one of the best.

not sure if this is too late... but if you are in the espanola area with your bike there is nice riding at the rattle snake... basically look on the map, it is on the southern highway heading out of town at i believe mile marker 4... youl know it when you see it because there is a big red radio tower... turn right there before mile marker 4, and take that road a ways back past the tower... best riding in NM