Sign in to follow this  

Arm pump

What is the best arm work out for arm pump. At 41 yrs old, I still want to run with the young bucks and stay out of the old fart class. My only draw back is late race arm pump. Anyone have any suggestions as to arm workout?? 🙂

try loosening your grip more up top, and grip the bike more with your knees, worked for me!

What is the best arm work out for arm pump. At 41 yrs old, I still want to run with the young bucks and stay out of the old fart class. My only draw back is late race arm pump. Anyone have any suggestions as to arm workout?? 🙂

"Old Fart Class"??? LOL!! I thought that too until I hit 35 and raced with them a few times. Figured it would be easy pickins. Then I realized anyone racing in that class has probably been doing it since they were 6 years old and is STILL at it! It's not as easy as everyone thinks. By the way, I like to refer to it as the "Old and Fat Class" when I race!!

As far as arm pump goes, My work out consists of multiple reps of 12oz curls. It helps me keep my Old and Fat physique.

just lift more weights and ride for a longer period of time when u practice. im 17 year old and thats all i do and i never get arm pump. and my dad is 40 years and he lifts and nothing happens

The only thing that truly seems to work is to grip more with your knees and legs and loosen up on your hands gripping the bars. Pills,creams, surgery, or whatever is not the way to go. Also you need to think and remind yourself to loosen up on your hands gripping and focus on your legs to do the work!

has any body used the APE arm pump eliminator?? They give a scientific explanation about how they work but....do they really?

they are around 100DLLS but if they really work they are worth every penny!

I get the same, arm pump in the 4 lap, so I need as many help as I can get!

A HAS ANYBODY TRIED THIS ONES???

Try taking two asprins 30 minutes prior to riding. It will thin your blood and help eliminate arm pump.

High rep, low weight excercises like "lat pull downs" with your knuckles towards you then away is a great excercise.

Also pay close attention to your bar bend. I personally have a big problem with arm pump when the bars do not have the correct pull back (for me). If you find that your hanging on with just a few fingers and not your entire hand, then that can cause arm pump.

Finally, consider using BenGay or something like that before you even go out for practice. If you get it during practice, then it could hang with you all day. So any creme like BenGay or any arm pump eliminator needs to be used before you even put your jersey on.

i get arm pump bad 1st or 2nd lap, im quite fit, but obviously doing something wrong, ive tryed everything u guys have said ive gotten like an extra lap, but it still sucks, but i think i probably do use my arms to much and not my legs wich i should look at, also breathing helps alot apparently...

I had the arm pump surgery with mediocre results. Then I bougt a book on how to alleivate arm pump by ROdney WOmback http://www.motoxfitness.com/

It really helped, then I warm up on a stationairy bike that does upper body too, spin a 5 lb weight tied to a bar and use

Moto911 http://www.procyclesafety.com/

& I am at least 50% better. If you want the magic pill or operation, sorry, it doesnt exist, or at least I never found it. I was in your shoes, I could beat my competitors if I could just get rid of the arm pump. I am not the fastest guy off the start, but I am competitive now. Contact me if you want more adivice. If I knew how to post pictures, I could show you my arms now, they look like a cat ripped into me.

HI MIKE!

can you please describe in more details how is that "5 lbs" exercise that you describe? in doing everything I can to be faster and in order to do so I need to have more control by eliminating arm pump!! about the pills. I have always being reluctant to taking any, but are they really work or is it like "valentines day" somebody invented them to get money out of a problem???

I originally posted someones e-mail instead of http://www.motoxfitness.com/ for the forearm pump book

As for the weigt, I take a piece of tube (PVC or Copper will work) tie a rope to the middle, put motorcycle grips on the the ends and hook a string up to a 5 lbs weight. Turn the bar until the weight goes to the top 10 times, then switch your grip from over hand to under hand and do 10 more.

Thier is A LOT of great warm up, strength and flexibilty excercises in ROdneys book

I have video that does not really help by some one else

War, up is key, here is an example of how warm up helped me. Once i decided to get some warm up by trail riding in the woods befor a hare scramble (now I use a upper and lower sationairy bike). I hated hare scrambles b/c the forearm pump lasted an Hour!! But in the process of warming up in the woods, I got lost and panicked! By the time I got back it was time to line up on the start. 500 riders this day, all my friends were thier. I got a good holeshot (this much I usually do) then I got bumped off the start and fell back, I worked my way back to the lead, eventually got passed by 2 racers who would have passed me no matter what was happening, but this day I got 3rd overall, the best I have ever done in a hare scramble. I tottaly attribute it to the warm up I got beofre the race and the agressive riding I did in the woods before the race. Point being, warm your arms, legs and body up and your arms will benefit tremenedously. People like to make fun of me because of all the warm up I do especaily the stationairy bike before a race, but I didnt become a 6X A class national enduro champion becuase I am a natural, I am the first person in my family to ever race or ride. I dont care what others think, in the end I have found what I need to do to win and I am not afraid to do it.