Sign in to follow this  

Big Cruiser recommendations?

Hey guys... I'm in the preliminary stages of picking myself out a new street bike. I've got ZERO interest in a sport bike, or anything else you gotta lay down on to ride.

I'd perfer a Vtwin, preferably 1000cc's or better, and easily capable of handling my fat ass (275lbs of trucker) at interstate speeds. Decent availability of accessories (leather saddle bags, different seats, chrome) is a plus too. Brand doesnt really matter, although I am leaning slightly toward yamaha since I already own one and really like the local dealer.

I'm really liking the looks of the Yamaha Vstar and Roadstar, Kawasaki's Nomad is nice looking too, and fuel injected.

A HD herritage softail classic or a fatboy would probably be my bike of choice if money wasnt a issue but thats 5-6 grand over my budget. I'd like to get something around 12 grand.

Any first hand experience with any of these bikes? Is the Kawasaki's fuel injection a good idea or just more electronics to work on? Whats the pros and cons of belt vs shaft drive?

With you being a Chevy guy, I doubt you'd really like the plastic chrome of any of the Jap' cruisers. I would look for a good used Heritage, or Fatboy if that's what you like. Any Evo' or Twin Cam would be a very reliable bike, providing it's been looked after. As far as belt vs shaft drive, they're both very low maintenance. Belt requires infrequent adjustment, shaft requires oil change at schedueled intervals. This thread will no doubt turn into a Harley bashing/bitch session, so PM me if you wanna know anything about specific models. 🙂

Yeah, plastic deffinatly isnt my thing... the Yamaha's seem to be mostly plastic free though. The biggest beef I have with the jap cruisers is lack of color options... HD has like 15 different colors of every bike.. yamaha has 2 or maybe 3.

I'd really like to get a new bike, its awfully tempting to talk the wife into adding 5 grand to my budget and buying a fatboy. That blue and silver 2 tone is sharp. 🙂 I see HD is offering carb or fuel injected now, which would you recommend Chris?

and any tips on how to sweettalk 5 grand more budget from the misses? 🙂:D

Also I'm looking at MSRP on the harleys... do they generally sell for sticker or can I expect to get one for less than that?

If you were planning on leaving it basically stock (pipes and hi-flow), i'd probably go the FI, it's a pretty good set-up now. Not sure about the HD dealers in the USA, but you'd be lucky to get one below list over here at least. You MAY be able to talk 'em into throwing in a hi-flow kit, but they'll most likely get you elsewhere (set-up fees or something.....). As for sweet talking the missus..... Well, I don't think I can help there, it's hard enough getting MY money off her, let alone raiding the savings for a bike 🙂🙂

At least if you get a harley, you know it will keep its value. These people sell theirs that are 5 years old for a little less than what they bought them for. I think they usually sell for sticker, because it's hard enough just to get one new.

As far as fuel injection goes, the big question is, can anyone around you work on it? My dad has a Deuce and a Road King. Both are fuel injected, but when he put new pipes on his Deuce, he had to take it a couple of hours drive away to get the FI worked on.

I still don't understand cruisers. Maybe I'm too young and immature.

At least if you get a harley, you know it will keep its value. These people sell theirs that are 5 years old for a little less than what they bought them for. I think they usually sell for sticker, because it's hard enough just to get one new.

As far as fuel injection goes, the big question is, can anyone around you work on it? My dad has a Deuce and a Road King. Both are fuel injected, but when he put new pipes on his Deuce, he had to take it a couple of hours drive away to get the FI worked on.

I still don't understand cruisers. Maybe I'm too young and immature.

Yeah, the resale value is a big selling point for me... I was just looking through listings of used fatboys and seeing bikes as far back as 2000 selling within a grand or 2 of what a new one cost (and the 100th anniversary bikes are selling for well over sticker) I cant see a yamaha or kawasaki holding its value like that.

As for workin on the bike... I'm a self taught greasemonkey who's not afraid to work on anything but if the HD EFI requires computer equipment to tune it I might be out of my league there. I CAN tune a carb, I just really dont care for working on bike carbs (give me a holley double pumper 4 barrel anyday lol)

Thanks for the help guys 🙂

With the FI, when you fit pipes, it's a simple matter of hooking the bike up to a Digital Technician (only found at Authorised HD dealers) and adjusting the tune to suit the new pipes. It's pretty much a 'set and forget' thing, unless you're constantly altering pipes, etc.

A HD herritage softail classic or a fatboy would probably be my bike of choice if money wasnt a issue but thats 5-6 grand over my budget. I'd like to get something around 12 grand.

I wouldn't buy a softail if your over 6'. Iam 6' 4" 300lbs had a Fatboy and could not get comfortable on that thing. I changed the seat and bars out still didn't help - IMO the way the frame comes down in the rear its not made for Big Boys.

If you want a real cruiser get a FLHR Roadking 🙂 I have had mine 5 years and love it!!! 500 mile days no problem. Check out the cycle trader I have seen them in there with low mileage within a thousand or two of your budget. My Buddy had a star for a couple of years and after riding my bike he stepped it up to a King 🙂

here is a pic of my King..................

faa0eec9.jpg

with my new bars...........

rk1.jpg

I CAN tune a carb, I just really dont care for working on bike carbs (give me a holley double pumper 4 barrel anyday lol)

Thanks for the help guys 🙂

A Mikuni HSR42 or 45mm is probably the Harley aftermarket equivalent to a Holley 4bbl. 🙂 I have a 42mm on mine, it's great.

With the FI, when you fit pipes, it's a simple matter of hooking the bike up to a Digital Technician (only found at Authorised HD dealers) and adjusting the tune to suit the new pipes. It's pretty much a 'set and forget' thing, unless you're constantly altering pipes, etc.

Yeah, I'd probably change pipes at some point but probably a one time deal. Sounds like EFI is the way to go.

I wouldn't buy a softail if your over 6'. Iam 6' 4" 300lbs had a Fatboy and could not get comfortable on that thing. I changed the seat and bars out still didn't help - IMO the way the frame comes down in the rear its not made for Big Boys.

If you want a real cruiser get a FLHR Roadking 🙂 I have had mine 5 years and love it!!! 500 mile days no problem. Check out the cycle trader I have seen them in there with low mileage within a thousand or two of your budget. My Buddy had a star for a couple of years and after riding my bike he stepped it up to a King :D

here is a pic of my King..................

faa0eec9.jpg

I'm 6'1" or so, I'd deffinatly sit on a few and maybe even see if I can get to one of harley's test rides to ride a few before deciding on one.

Thats a good lookin bike ya got... oh damn, you guys got me droolin all over my new keyboard 🙂

I have a 42mm on mine, it's great.

Me too 🙂

I'm 6'1" or so, I'd deffinatly sit on a few and maybe even see if I can get to one of harley's test rides to ride a few before deciding on one.

Thats a good lookin bike ya got... oh damn, you guys got me droolin all over my new keyboard 🙂

That's what surprised me. They let my Dad test ride like six bikes before he actually bought one.

He got a 100th anniversary Deuce, and told me how it was going to be worth more in a couple of years. Well, since I was used to buying and selling dirt bikes, I just rolled my eyes and thought that he was repeating whatever crap the dealer fed him. I was amazed when I saw what people were actually paying for used bikes.

In the shop they have an old HD 250 MX bike on display. The owner used to race. It's pretty cool looking.

Go with the Yamaha, best cruisers being built today. I'd skip the HD suggestion, way overpriced and they come so stripped down stock it's not even funny.

Have you ridden any of the bikes. Harleys shake and rattle ALOT. Some like this, many don't. I personally think the yamahas are better bikes quality wise. And with Yamaha your getting more up to date stuff. I used to like Harley's alot, but after being around the bikes more, and the Japenese counterparts. I deffinatly think the Japanese bikes are the way to go.

I have an '03 Kawisaki Vulcan Meanstreak 1500. I haven't had any problems with it. It's Kawis' muscle cruiser. I've enjoyed it alot. After having it, I'd take FI over carb any day. I've rigged it with more comfortable handlebars, I can fit bags to it, I have a windsheild, luggage rack, all removable for when I'm just toolin around town.

I've since decided I'd like more of a tourer tho, Like the Nomad, that has all that stuff already on it, and more. The Nomads engine these days is a 1600 FI. That's the way I'm going if I decide to trade up. You're right tho, I hate that they only come out with 2 color schemes a year, none of which I'm particularly fond of. Except for the Maroon and tan from a few years ago. Boy I'd sure like to find one of those in new shape with low miles.

I was in the Yamaha dealership the other day with a pilot friend of mine who is also in the market for a big cruiser/tourer.

I've been around bikes along time. Used to work in a dealership, been to Daytona bike week 10+ times, Sturgis twice.

I've just got to say (and I know people are going to say, you're just a Yamaha guy), The new Yamaha Star line is damned impressive. If I were buying, I am sure that is where my money would be going these days. The lineup has 650's, 1100's,1294's, 1670's and a new 1854cc. The Road Warrior is very quick stock(NHRA Pro-stock champion) and they have spenty of Factory hop-up performance parts for them also. OVER 100 FT/LBS of torque at 2500 RPM. That's badda$$!:D

Their fuel injected, with an award winning/responsive FI system

Yamaha's accessory package appear to be very high quality items and look awesome.

The aluminum frames and their near 50/50 weight distribution offer excellent handling. Yamaha's cruiser's handling and brakes are industry leaders according to several magazines. The engines are bullet proof. Several riders are claiming 100,000 miles on the earlier models with just oil and tire changes.

They look PURTY too. 🙂http://www.highlandsyamaha.com/newmodelsinfo_482_2006.aspx, I'd probably choose this one for some two up cross country riding with the better half.

They have one of the best extended warranties in the business, if not the best.

And as far as customization, check this out.http://www.yamaha-motor.com/star/calendar/cal.aspx . You can let your imagination run wild and probably still come out ahead financially than you would if you bought a basic showroom Harley.

Buying a big streetbike is such a process and is a very subjective thing. To each his own. Do lots of research before you decide, then do some more. Go into your local dealers of each brand, talk with them, try to get a feel for how they are going to treat you when problems arise.

Enjoy yourself! 🙂

Wow those new statoliner is a hot bike. I'm sure we'll be seeing many of those on the road soon. The road star warriors are very nice bikes. Probably my favorite cruiser (I'm a sportbike guy). I also think the Suzuki's and Kawasaki's are nice bikes. I really am liking the new boulevards. And who doesn't like the mean streaks.

CB, I have a KLR650 now and have had plenty of street bikes in the past. But for the long haul, you need comfort. If I ever get a large cruiser, it will be a Honda Aspencade/Goldwing type. Now for a better dual sport, I really like the BMW GS650/1100 and the KTM adventure 950 in orange! But I'm sure any of those others you mentioned will work fine, I'd bet the Honda would be the most comfortable and warm too! 🙂

Don't overlook two of the bigger cruisers....the Honda VX-1800 or the new 2300cc Triumph (don't remember the model name). The Trumpet is fast, smooth, and has the torque equal to a Peterbuilt!!! I don't think I've read a bad test on that bike.

Cheers,

Mac