Sign in to follow this  

Can't Shift out of 1st Gear!!!!!!!!

I went riding this weekend and decided to let my brother-in-law take her for a quick spin in the bush with my 9 year old soon. Suffice to say 10 minutes later when he did not return I knew there was trouble :worthy: . Shortly thereafter my son came out of the woods and told me that my bro-in-law dumped it and green-stuff was coming out of the bike (lovely) :D:D😉 .

So after 20 minutes of searching in woods, finding my bike and pushing it out of the woods back to my vehicle, it was clear my bro-in-law dumped it pretty hard.

First to note, the bike left him and fell hard on the left side. The radiator got tweaked a bit and the radiator hose was punctured. Once I fixed this and leaked tested everything was cool. Then upon test riding it I noted that I could not shift out of first gear. :D:D

Upon closer inspection the shifter hit hard on impact. The shifter hit so hard that the snapring on the shift shaft popped out of the groove and the shaft was pushed inward about 3/8". I pulled the shaft outward and reinserted the lockring but it still won't shift out of 1st. The shift lever travels freely. One thing to note is that the travel of the shifter seems to be longer in both direction (~1/2" up and down).

Can anyone provide me any insight as to what it might be and make any recommendations. 🙂🙂:D:D I will be working on it next weekend.

Thanks in advance.

Pottery_Pal

take the right side engine cover off,I bet you will find something pushed out of place in the shifter ratcheting mechanism,watch for 2 little springs and 2 roughly 1/2 inch square plates,I bet one or both of those plates and springs are out of place...

Tell your brother in law he just lost the ability to mount your bike in the future. Man what a bummer 🙂 Hope you get it figured out. lets see some pics 🙂

As sargentrab said, take the right side engine cover off. (the whole primary cover) And the clutch. You will find the problem much simpler, however. The shift shaft has simply un-hooked itself from the rest of the mechanism. Once the cover is off, remove the snap ring again and re-engage the pin in the lever slot you will see. There is a roller on the pin you need to make sure is still in place and not floating around loose.

You could try doing this operation by just taking the snap ring off and finding the pin by feel but you could not be sure the roller is in place so I would go ahead and take it apart. Plus you will be able to see if anything got bent in the process. Good pictures in the service book. When re-installing the clutch, spin the plastic oil pump drive gear with your finger so the teeth line up. You do not want to damage that gear.