Sign in to follow this  

Front Wheel Axle Removal XR400

Hey guys,

I am new to the forum and just getting back into the Dirtbike scene. I have a question on removing the front wheel Axle on my XR400.

I want to remove it to fit a front disk guard. Facing the front of the bike, the left side has the Axle nut sticking out but the right side has just a sleeve. If I turn the left side axle nut, the whole sleeve turns.

I have tried to put vice grips on this right side sleeve to hold it while trying to turn the left axle nut but it will not budge. I just wanted to know if this is the right way to do this because I do not want to damage the sleeve with the vice grips.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Shawn

You DO NOT loosen the 4 nuts of the axle holder on the sleeve side. That's what holds the sleeve from spinning. If you did loosen them, retighten them, upper nuts first.

Only loosen the nuts on the left(as you're facing the wheel) axle holder. If then the axle is too tight to break loose by hand, use a cheater bar on it.

Be careful in tightening the axle holder nuts. You can overtighten them and snap them off.

When putting it back together afterwards, and you're tightening the axle holder nuts, tighten the upper nuts first. When you tighten the lower nuts, don't worry about there being a gap left after they're tight. It's normal.

Pump up the front brake to seat the pads, spin the wheel, stop it with the brake and while holding the brake, recheck tightness of the lower nuts. Do this a few times.

Should be good to go.

Thanks TrailRyder,

I appreciate the reply and the information. I knew I was not thinking on this. Oh well...I will chalk it down for Blondeness...:>) On to the next mental challenge. Wish me luck.

Thanks again. Great Board.

Shawn

Welcome and nobody gives better advise then trailrider and Thumper TDC they know there stuff.. And KevXR416 has great icy cold refreshment advice!!

Didn't want to start a new thread as I have the same problem. I left the 4 nuts tight on the axle holder on the sleeve side. Loosened the other side and tried to remove the axle. Wouldn't budge. Grabbed a cheater bar and it moved but the entire sleeve just turned.

Any other ideas on how to get this thing out? It is a 2001 XR4. I have the stock tire on it still and it has finally got a flat. (the reason I am trying to remove it).

Didn't want to start a new thread as I have the same problem. I left the 4 nuts tight on the axle holder on the sleeve side. Loosened the other side and tried to remove the axle. Wouldn't budge. Grabbed a cheater bar and it moved but the entire sleeve just turned.

Any other ideas on how to get this thing out? It is a 2001 XR4. I have the stock tire on it still and it has finally got a flat. (the reason I am trying to remove it).

Take out all of the pinch bolts and take the wheel/axle out as a unit. Once it is out, grab the outer rim of the sleeve with a pipe wrench and take the axle out. You might even give the sleeve a shot with PB-Blaster, if it appears to be corroded. When you put everything back together, grease up the axle threads before screwing into the sleeve so it won't get stuck again.

JayC

ok.......I wasn't sure if a pipe wrench would bugger up the sleeve to much. I do have some PB-Blaster and that was going to be my next step.

Thanks for the reply.