Sign in to follow this  

Jetting for "oil pool" Anyone heard of this?

I read an article a couple years back about when jetting a 2 stroke to jet for oil pool around the cylder head (or something like that). Was interesting.

Back then I didn't have a 2 stroke but now my son's riding and would like this info again.

Anyone have any info? Did I dream this or something because it just kind of disappeared.

Note. Cross posting to jetting & YZ250F forum.

hmm.. i dont think you would jet for anything like that.. you wouldnt' want too much oil ontop of your cylinder, and certainly not a pool.. or youd be fouling plugs every 5 minutes 🙂

my bike gets a ring around the tip of my silencer and the inside of my side panel gets black but it runs perfect you just cant dog it, id rather it be a little rich to be on the safe side

the only thing ive heard of refering to 'oil pool' is the oil pool in the case from low rpm riding or idleing. The only way to get around it is really open the bike up all the time. It puts a healthy coating of oil on everything until there is enough turbulence to remix it with the air.

What you would have heard of is jetting with the "wet line" method.

Involves pulling the pipe and seeing where the inside of the pipe is dry.

Theory is that the chamber causes reverse pulse which pushes unburnt mixture back into cylinder, (Supercharging type effect).

With this method you can ensure that you are maximizing this power potential.

Go to KTMtalk.com and look under the 2 stroke forums (or it may have been jetting).

Stevecg-

Wetline method sounds interesting and will look into it more. However, it's not what I was thinking about.

Shift-

Someone else had mentioned something about oil pool in the case and making sure it was there. Maybe I'm confused and the case is where I'm supposed to be looking for oil pool.

TTR, 4 strokers, sick-

Thanks for the interest. Applies but not what I was thinking either.

I'll keep searching...

Eddie

umm.. im not a 4 stroker.. look at my sig, i ride a yz125.. if you don't find "what your looking for" on this site then youve got something wrong 🙂

Are you thinking of something that involves pulling the head to see how it is burning?

I had a TZ125 shifter kart which had an engine manual that described this method of reading the engine (Like an extension of plug reading).

Also involved changing base gaskets to alter squish for different conditions.

I never tried it as I just wasn't looking for the last little bit. (Just looking for skids 🙂 )

Try checking out some of the road race sites if you want more on this.

(Maybe tz250.com or something like)

Good luck.