Sign in to follow this  

I found it - a light DRZ

Well it's not actually a DRZ, but the latest addition to my stable is a 04 KX500. Man this thing is truly like a DRZ that weighs 220 lbs. It easily lugs a high gear, is content to poke along on single-track and yet has 65 horsepower when you want. It vibrates a lot more than the ole DRZ though - but it's not too bad. It's actually easier to ride than my CR250 because it does need to be constantly revved. In fact, it seems to like the short shift better.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/oticoyote/228-2816_IMG.jpg

Suspension is not as cushy as a DRZ (which I think has the BEST suspension available for the sharp rocks I ride in), but it is not bad, even stock, for a MX bike.

Apparently reliability is very good to. This machine was used a few hours, but as you can see, it is in absolute mint condition.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/oticoyote/228-2824_IMG.jpg

Anyone else here own or have ridden one? If not, you gotta try one if you get a chance. I love this bike! (I love you to DRZ).

Watch out for those open class two smokes, they'll hurt you if given a chance. Respect them and they are a blast though.

I raced open class two strokes in the CA desert. I can tell you that they run great, but they do have the ability to hurt you. I got a stuck throttle on mine and did not ride for two years after getting injured from that one.

The older I get, the longer it seems to take to heal up. I love my DRZ but the injury potential is always there. The DRZ, however has better suspension and is safer than my old open class bikes.

I like the 250 better than the 500 to be honest. I never have seen why an open bike needs a power valve. That and it's finicky about jetting. Yep I've owned one before. I rode mainly open bikes, they'll always have a soft spot for them in my heart. I may now prefer the easier to control motor of a 4 stroke but I still miss the lightswich at times. I'm just to old and beat up to mess with them now. I don't think I'd live very long witha steady diet of fullbore openclass 2 smokes. God lets you know when your slowing down. You start falling down. They are fast enough that this old body wouldn't handle the wrecks. pdawg 🙂

f32868ff.jpg

oh...I don't care for that seat...reminds me of my friend's HODAKA in highschool...

oh...I don't care for that seat...reminds me of my friend's HODAKA in highschool...

There is no doubt the styling of the KX500 is, like the rest of the bike, a bit dated. But oh my !@#$%^ is it fun!

Mine came with a FMF Gnarly Desert pipe and Powercore silencer, Vforce reeds, Renthal bars and a Moose skid plate. It was a good deal, for sure.

I've added an O-ring chain and I think I will buy an oversize tank. The Moose pipe guard is in but not on and I still haven't decided about which rad guards (Unabiker doesn't make them, yet).

It suits my riding ideally because I usually spend 1/2 of my ride on the trails and the other 1/2 in the "sand pit" doing small jumps, climbing crushed stone mountains, etc. (Sadly, the only mountains around my neck of the woods are made of sand and crushed stone and owned by paving companies.) This bike handles both well. The DRZ is a bit gangly for the the latter - at least in my hands. I still think I'm faster in trails on the DRZ than on the CR250 or the KX500.

Put some paddles on it and you have the ultimate sand weapon.

Thats why they still kick ass in the Baja. Awesome bike. I used to ride with a guy that had one. Took some practice to manipulate the power, but man, what a sweet bike it was.