Sign in to follow this  

Opinion question 4 yall...

Im just getting into riding and all, and im just looking around for a bike. Im small, like real small, and Ive read all the stuff on getting a bike that I can. For opinions sake, what do you think my best option is? Im around 5'2" and 100lbs 🙂 Heres what I was thinken - Yam TT-R125L, Kaw KLX125L, KLX/DRZ 125 and 125L

I started with the TTR125L and I loved that bike. Great confidence builder. Light, nimble and enough power for a beginner.

a friend of mine is 5-2 100lb as well

she started riding on a KX80

but she likes her lowered EXC250 a lot better, she says

why do you restrict yourself to 125 4-strokes?

oh, well, im not trying to restrict myself, i just think that i dont know any better, lol 🙂

i just noticed that they were all 125's as well...i dont think i did that on purpouse

My daughter rides a TTR125 right now, it is the most reliable bike i have seen she does harescrambles on it and the only thing i ever have to do is regular maintenance. Buy that first then when you like it get a bi8gger bike.

a friend of mine is 5-2 100lb as well

she started riding on a KX80

but she likes her lowered EXC250 a lot better, she says

why do you restrict yourself to 125 4-strokes?

Staying away from small 2 strokes meant for an MX track is probably wise, unless she wants to ride MX. If you're going to do trail riding, and possibly race offroad later on, the bikes you listed are pretty good starts.

I've posted this before, but I and my wife are HUGE fans of conversion bikes. Look at my signature...her bike weighs less than a TTR125, has great brakes and suspension, and has tons of easily controlled power that you can't get in small MX bikes.

Good luck and have fun.

Staying away from small 2 strokes meant for an MX track is probably wise.

as much as people here worry about a few pounds ...

and about kickstarting a real thumper ...

why not throw some flywheelweight on a small smoker?

or a big washer between outlet and pipe of a bigger smoker?

i rode my bf's crf150 today and it wasnt that bad actually, i couldnt start it too well, but im not sure if that was just his bike, lol

She did great on my crf150, with all of the preload removed from the rear shock, and the forks lowerd as far as they go she had no probem touching the ground with both feet. I think it's just a bit heavy for her, but the low center of gravity helped out a lot. Help her out gals!

I started on a ttr125...it was a perfect beginner bike but, i was ready for a new bike a couple months after riding it. I should have started on something bigger becuase i already had some experience..so i was ready to jump to the next step very quickly. All of the 125 4 strokes you listed are pretty much the same. I think that they would be perfect for you.

What bike you get depends on what your riding goals are. I'm 5'1" 98 lbs and have had several bikes. I'm 36 so I won't be growing anymore, darn. At first I thought I'd just trail ride. Starting in 1999 I had a Yamaha RT100 to learn to shift etc. That bike was way too small and had no suspension. So I promtly got a Honda XR200. Much better but sooooo big and heavy. Moved to a Yamaha TTR125L and put heavier springs on it. That bike was cool, but then I wanted to try racing. I raced the TTR twice and practically dislocated my shoulders landing jumps because the suspension just wasn't made for that. Then I got a Yamaha YZ80. That bike was fast! Raced it for a year and did ok. I was a novice and that bike was tricky to control. Decided I needed bigger wheels so I got a Yamaha YZ125. Best yet. Started kicking butt in the novice class and moved up to amatuer. But once I started going faster I had a terrible head shake problem that couldn't be fixed with suspension changes. Then my husband endoed my bike in practice (he's ok) and since that bike was old anyway, we went out that day and got a brand new 04 Honda CRF250. This bike is awesome! I got the suspension done for my light weight and depending on the track I can change compression and rebound to counter headshake or other handling issues. It is big, but once I get going on it I feel like it is perfect for me. I didn't have it lowered or anything because I didn't want to compromise the suspension. I know a girl that did that though and she likes it. I can't touch both feet but I just slip off to the side and catch myself on one foot. My biggest trouble area is the pits or if I step off on a slight incline then the weight of the bike just knocks me over. Very embarassing. My husband showed me how to pick the bike up by turning around backwards and grabbing the rear fender and the handlebar and I can pick it up ok. It is still pretty heavy so I just try not to crash. Starting it requires something to balance on or someone holding it or my trick of turning around facing backwards and kicking it while standing next to it. I've even restarted it like that in races. I also have a Rekluse auto clutch which allows me to stop without worrying about pulling the clutch, makes it easier to get going again too. I know that sounds wimpy to have an auto clutch, but don't knock it. It has helped me so much in my riding confidence and I get the hole shot almost every race!

Ok, so that was a lot of info. But the bottom line is I think the CRF250 either R, or X if you are going to mainly do trail riding, is ideal! Don't think you are too small for it, just takes some time getting used to balancing in the pits and the starting thing. If that sounds like too much trouble the TTR was fun and easy to ride, just don't catch air on it!

Good luck.

as much as people here worry about a few pounds ...

and about kickstarting a real thumper ...

why not throw some flywheelweight on a small smoker?

or a big washer between outlet and pipe of a bigger smoker?

I don't think weight is the biggest issue. The power delivery of a small MX 2 stroke is just not good for trail use. I agree that you can modify them to make 'em better, but they're still not great for trail use.

Again though, I don't know how she plans on riding. MX is one thing. Tight and technical trails with big elevation changes is another. Open and easy trails? In that case I might join you in a recommendation for a modified 2 stroke.

Remember though, I was talking only about the small bore 2 strokes. A Gas Gas or KTM 200 can be a very sweet bike for a smaller person, and while they have more manageable power delivery than MX bikes, they still aren't starter bikes.

Ok, so that was a lot of info. But the bottom line is I think the CRF250 either R, or X if you are going to mainly do trail riding, is ideal! Don't think you are too small for it, just takes some time getting used to balancing in the pits and the starting thing. If that sounds like too much trouble the TTR was fun and easy to ride, just don't catch air on it!

Good luck.

Good post. The only thing I'd point out is that it's incorrect to think that MX=competition and Trail=casual riding. I do casual trail riding, but I also race and compete in Enduros. Great MX bikes are usually not great for Enduros, but you're also never going to be fast or competitive in offroad racing (enduros, hare scrambles, XC, etc.) with a low-end starter bike. THIS is the argument for conversions, at least when speaking of smaller people. My wife likes having great brakes and suspension with a lot of manageable power AND the ability to put her foot down when the terrain is nasty.

looking for a bike more for trail riding I think
You've gotten lots of good info and various viewpoints, but it seems to me that you've probably started down the right road. IMO, the IDEAL bike for someone your size and intended purpose is a conversion. There's lot's of info available in the XR80-200 forum. Here's a shot of my wife's scooter, so you can get a sense.

16080149-M.jpg

Here are other pics. Again, good luck with whatever you decide.

I don't think weight is the biggest issue.

:applause::eek:🙂

every time I dared suggesting a TTR250, XR250 or CRF230

I got 'yelled' at

because these bikes are soooo outrageously heavy

even my XL200R pitbike EVERYBODY considers 'a nothing on wheels'

weighs 280lb dry

If your JUST getting into riding...i don't think your ready for a 250! If you want something bigger than a ttr125 then go with the ttr230 or crf 150 or crf 230 especially if your trail riding. If you plan on racing any time soon...then you should think about 250f after you get the hang of things...if i started on a 250f i think i would have hurt myself!

I started on at TTR125L (5'4" 150 lbs) and I could take that bike on almost anything. Great for trails, not as much for racing but it'll get you there. It's probably the right height for you, very light and the bike is close to bullet proof. Practically a submarine, I have had it up to the seat in water (not suggested, not on purpose but it happened). The only real disadvantages are smaller wheels (which doesn't affect you too much unless you ride over a lot of rocks) and a less powerful engine (which isn't as much of a disadvantage when first starting to ride). It's a great starter bike and stepping stone. You can get the button (electric start) but it's really easy to kick start. Don't know much about the Kawi or Suki bikes but I'm sure they're similar.

Conversion bikes are great but they also require more money and work to create. You might be able to find one for sale but that means you trust whoever welded the thing together to have done the job right. FYI A conversion bike is generally a four stroke engine put in a 2 stroke 80 racing frame. Like an XR100 or XR200 in a CR80 Expert frame. Combines a beginner bike engine with racing suspension and brakes.

I highly suggest the TTR125L type bike if for no other reason than you can get a used one for around a grand and the bikes are popular for learner so they're fairly easy to sell if/when you want to move to a different bike. Personally I'm holding on the my TTR to have a learner bike for other people to ride (and get hooked, and spend all their money on bikes so they're in the same position as me muhahaha)

She's just getting into riding, when she rode my 150 it was her first time ever being on a bike by herself. Shes still getting the hang of the clutch and shifting, but other then that shes doing wonderully. I have a 250X, crf230, and the 150, so she has access to those bikes to try and get an idea of where she should be starting off.

Orange chicken- that's a sweet little bike! How much did it run you to put it all together?

:applause::eek:🙂

every time I dared suggesting a TTR250, XR250 or CRF230

I got 'yelled' at

because these bikes are soooo outrageously heavy

even my XL200R pitbike EVERYBODY considers 'a nothing on wheels'

weighs 280lb dry

I don't think I was one of those. I didn't intend to be. Anyweigh, my view is that weight is important, but should only be considered in the context of other factors that are critical in the "rule in/rule out" bike choice process.